Squeaky wheel

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

meccano04

Squeaky wheel

Postby meccano04 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 am

Hey guys, great site was having a good read at your ICE section (as im the new owner of a 53 1.4 Megane extreme) and decided id see if any of your experience could shed light on my problem.

My problem is this (and i hope/think is minor compared to some of the others in this section of the forum) when going at low speeds one of my rear wheels sqeaks a bit, but as soon as i press the brake pedal it goes away, the mechanic has taken apart and cleaned the brakes apparently (now twice) and while it doesnt seem as bad for a bit it definitly still does it.

The sound isnt constant it is sort of intermittant, like its only at one point and as something passes it it squeaks.

Does anyone think it'll either resolve itself? Or should i get it taken for a second opinion somewhere?

ta

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:34 pm

Ah one of the top ten perrenial Mégane ll problems.

There is now an anti-squeak kit available from your dealer but you would do better to invest in a set of EBC's Green Stuff pads in the majorit of cases the squeak goes away and there is the added benefit of improved braking and less brake dust on the wheels!
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 pm

I had this problem and it was due to rust forming in the caliper mechanism.

If this was going on for a while, you may need new rear disks in addition to new pads. I started with changing pads and cleaning disks, but two years later decided to replace the disks... My car is also 53 reg. (1.9dci Expression). Please don't hate me!

BTW, EBC pads are really good and they might add safety to the weaker brakes of 1.4 models.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:05 pm

I changed to Green Stuff's just over a month ago. Initially they sqeaked still and the squeak did return but it's a lot more quieter than OEM. With some hard braking it disappears.

Can't remember if it squeaks anymore but the bite of the braking is so much more improved than OEM.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:03 pm

AlexB wrote:I had this problem and it was due to rust forming in the caliper mechanism.

If this was going on for a while, you may need new rear disks in addition to new pads. I started with changing pads and cleaning disks, but two years later decided to replace the disks... My car is also 53 reg. (1.9dci Expression). Please don't hate me!

BTW, EBC pads are really good and they might add safety to the weaker brakes of 1.4 models.
But aren't the calipers alloy?
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:18 pm

Nop. They are made of forged steel and galvanised or somehow else coated. Unfortunately, their parts on which the pads slide are machined after galvanisation, which makes them susceptible to corrosion. The steel seems to be of a good grade and it corrodes slowly, but it does!

Le Grand Crapaud wrote:...But aren't the calipers alloy?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

meccano04

Postby meccano04 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Thanks guys, the rear discs have got some light ridges on it, i think i'll change to the greenstuff pads to see if it quietens it any. i dont want to replace the discs on a whim cos i think they cost quite a lot for it.

in addition i took the wheel off and i dont know if the squeak is possibly caused by the handbrake not coming off all the way as when the wheel and hand brake was off i couldnt rotate the disc, any more technical folks think that could be it? I thought that would grind rather than squeak tho.

Return to “Problems / Questions”