TYRES ANY ADVICE

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

TYRES ANY ADVICE

Postby nickbell69 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Recently started new job and driving about 20k miles a year. Looking at tyres i'll soon be needing 3 new ones(spare is new so will use that and keep best used one). Anyone got advice on which ones to go for and where from? 205 55/r16

spungal69

Postby spungal69 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Michelin energy 3a are very very good in all conditions according to the latest auto express tyre review, wet & dry handling, braking and aquaplaning. Top 5 out of 12 I believe.

Paying about £60-£70 each fitted please ring around ypou may get a discount

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:19 pm

I got some Michelin Primacy HP (W rated as well I think - better compound) from Costco for £75 each fitted.
Downside is you have to have a costco card or know someone that has one to let you in

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:36 am

AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:52 am

It's not good practice to mix different tyres on the same axle, so if you are going to use the spare you will need to stick to the same make and tread pattern.

Auto Express have done various tests on tyres over the years and I think they have done one very recently.

If you look on https://www.marshaltyre.co.uk/ there is a .pdf document of the last test Auto Express conducted.
The Marshal KH35 (part of the Kumho group) came 3rd beaten by, Continental (2nd) and Vrederstein (1st)

You could also look on https://www.tyretest.com

I will say stay clear of Goodyear Eagle NCT5's, I've got them on mine and they are crap!

EDIT:
https://www.mytres.co.uk
https://www.blackcircles.com
https://www.valuetyres.co.uk

There are lots of other websites online, try Google-ing Car Tyres
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:17 pm

My Megane has come with 5 Michelin Energy's (I think the E3a). I fitted a pair to my Punto in 2005, and our 307 last year (both now departed). They do seem to give decent grip and are lasting well. I make sure I'm a few PSI up over the Renault guidelines which helps fuel economy too. Personally I wouldn't see a reason to go with something else.

Blackcircles are good if they have a convenient garage and don't want tracking. Otherwise Just Tyres are OK, although it might be good to buy online and have them fit them.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:30 pm

You should have a read of the piece on Kumho KH lls on the Products Tested section. These tyres should be considerably less expensive than the Mickies and prove just as durable and economic.
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:53 pm

The Michelin Energy E3A's seem to be getting quite rare now - I wanted to bring on the spare that came with the car and have a matching tyre on the other side so phoned around several suppliers for an E3A. I was told by many that they are discontinued and have been replaced by the the E3B. The only supplier I could find with them in stock was Black Circles - they told me they had bought up the entire remaining stock in the UK. This was back in July so they might be running low by now. They quoted a good price though - £78 fitted, including balance, new valve and environmental disposal of old tyre. (the Khumho Ecsta KHII was £72 by comparison and as I had managed to get 32,000 miles on the front of my 1.9dci tourer on the mickies I was happy to pay the extra £6 for a) one that matched the spare and b) the knowledge that it would last over 30k miles. Incidentally the fitting agent nominated by Black Circles quoted me sparately to change the spare from the steel rim onto the alloy (and the best of the two on the car back onto the steel) for £14, including valve and balance which I thought was pretty reasonable.
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:45 pm

DaveP wrote:The Michelin Energy E3A's seem to be getting quite rare now - I wanted to bring on the spare that came with the car and have a matching tyre on the other side so phoned around several suppliers for an E3A. I was told by many that they are discontinued and have been replaced by the the E3B. The only supplier I could find with them in stock was Black Circles - they told me they had bought up the entire remaining stock in the UK. This was back in July so they might be running low by now. They quoted a good price though - £78 fitted, including balance, new valve and environmental disposal of old tyre. (the Khumho Ecsta KHII was £72 by comparison and as I had managed to get 32,000 miles on the front of my 1.9dci tourer on the mickies I was happy to pay the extra £6 for a) one that matched the spare and b) the knowledge that it would last over 30k miles. Incidentally the fitting agent nominated by Black Circles quoted me sparately to change the spare from the steel rim onto the alloy (and the best of the two on the car back onto the steel) for £14, including valve and balance which I thought was pretty reasonable.
These must 205/55/17s as KHlls in the 16" size are somewhat less expensive than £72.00 all in!

click

Postby click » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:09 pm

I recently bought 4 Pirelli P7 tyres 205/55 R 16. They are great, silent. And of course, they made an offer I couldn't reject. I got 4 for the price of 3 :cool:
Renault Megane Grandtour Luxe Dynamique 1.9 dCi

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:58 am

....at ATS no doubt. Are Pirolli P7s still made?

click

Postby click » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm

According to DOT signs, they have been made in 2007, March (something like 1407)..
Renault Megane Grandtour Luxe Dynamique 1.9 dCi

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 pm

They are good, don't lose your sleep!
https://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/So ... eID=174023
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”