Steering Fault

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

meganepp

Steering Fault

Postby meganepp » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Has anyone ever got a Steering Fault error, I got one the other day...although there is nothing wrong with my steering !!.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:58 pm

See my message in the links section. Follow the second pointer. Open
"3.Futómû (pdf, ~2 MByte)" and
"3.Futómû (pdf, ~0,6 MByte)" at the bottom of the page.
Sections 36b in both documents are all about it.

Nothing wrong with steering?
Millions transistors and logic gates, which are a part of the steering system, are squealing and knocking on a small silicon chip inside the metal box. Can you hear it? If not -- there is an on-line diagnostic system and the warning light for it...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

meganepp

Postby meganepp » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:14 am

AlexB wrote:
Nothing wrong with steering?
Millions transistors and logic gates, which are a part of the steering system, are squealing and knocking on a small silicon chip inside the metal box. Can you hear it? If not -- there is an on-line diagnostic system and the warning light for it...

I'm trying to make sense of this but the grey matter is not responding....

Is there a fix for this ....because the steering error has come up again ...this time its back with a vengence...and is not going away....any input will help...I've already changed 2 steering columns in as many weeks....everything is okay for five or six days then the "check steering" error comes back...really doing my head in now....

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:48 pm

Written in a hurry 5/10/2007 and never retrieved from my Outbox:

Hello meganepp,

I've seen your message, had no time to reply and in the next 3 days I'll be very busy (driving Newcastle-Canterbury-London-Newcastle). Sorry.

I don't know the fix to your problem, but my impression that your dealer is grossly incompetent. The problem is not with the three steering columns, but with something else.

Furthermore, if you've got the warning light, then it means that the fault-tolerant mechatronics steering system has detected the fault and operates in the recovery mode. Expect reduced performance at the moment when it is most needed (graceful degradation mode) and increased probability of a catastrophic failure. Fault-tolerant systems in presence of a single fault may still operate, but they stop being fault-tolerant... Please be very careful, I am talking about the mean time before failure (MTBF) reduced by several orders of magnitude! Driving under such a risk may be considered as careless.

I already wrote, that I am not an automotive engineer, so my knowledge is restricted to the problems i experienced in my life or read about. As for reading, there are a couple of hundred pages on this subject pointed at in the second reference in my message in the Links section.

What else... The usual advice is to find the nearest Bosch garage (see their web site). It's too late and nothing else comes to my mind. I'll check your thread in three days. Good luck.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

meganepp

Postby meganepp » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks for all your input on this matter....

As you say this is a "dealer error" than a mechanical one.
I finally got it resolved....went to another dealer ALL ELECTRIC Halesown, they recified the error saying the steering angle needed calibrating, now the the steering weighs like it should, centralises and turns like it should, and no errors !!

Once again thanks...if only thier diagnostic software was as popular as VAGCOM !!

All done under warranty...selling the car now 2006 Facelift Convertible 1.6 black.

Return to “Problems / Questions”