Cruise retrofit and Slip ring

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

meganepp

Cruise retrofit and Slip ring

Postby meganepp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:47 pm

I'm about to install cruise on my car...I have the steering controls, airbag, steering wheel, CS SL switch and the slip ring, have checked my car as per instructions on this site for prewiring...everything is there.

I have one concern, that is installing the slip ring...I know there is a ribbon wound in there (i've opened up a few knackered ones). How do I know when its centralised ?, I dont want the ribbon snapping as I have done before because I did not straighten the wheels or centralised the slip ring ribbon before putting them back together (expensive error !!)

By the way found the broken plastic bit inside one of them that makes the clicking noise when the steering is turned....although my opinion is that the ribbon (which get pretty mangeled and bent up) actually rubs against the inside white plastic slip ring which has grooves on the inside cirumference creating the rubbing click sound.

If anyone needs pics of the internals, let me know maybe you could find a solution to the clicking problem.

Oh by the way....all non cruise slip rings use 5 of the 7 ribbon connectors, the spare 2 are for the cruise control, all you have to do is solder a bit wiring extension on them (continuity is there when checked with a multimeter), and save yourself buying a CC slip ring, if you wanted to do a steering wheel cruise control retrofit that is.

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:55 am

Hi,
I have another question. When you retrofit CC/SL you need also steering wheel with preparation for four buttons of CC/SL. Do you need also another airbag or is it possible to use airbag from "non-CC/SL" version of steering wheel?
MEGΛNE Expression Grand Tour/Grandtour/Estate/Tourer 1.6 automat - 2005
sorry for my poor english
Image (Image)

meganepp

Postby meganepp » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:02 pm

You need the airbag with the cut outs for the Cruise control switches.

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:22 pm

Hm, that's bad :-(
I think, I stay on "my version" CC/SL controls (retrofited).
MEGΛNE Expression Grand Tour/Grandtour/Estate/Tourer 1.6 automat - 2005

sorry for my poor english

Image (Image)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Cruise retrofit and Slip ring

Postby AlexB » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:08 pm

It would be a great contribution to our Forum if you could post them.

:ttiwwop

meganepp wrote:...
If anyone needs pics of the internals, let me know maybe you could find a solution to the clicking problem.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”