New owner with questions???

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

huskygsx

New owner with questions???

Postby huskygsx » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi all,
I have just bought a Megane 1.6 petrol Dynamique on an 04 plate. Surprise, surprise, I have some problems and some questions. It has already spent 8 days back in the garage because it would not start!! The feedback and cooments on this site helped! Thanks for that! Anyway, to the questions... Is it normal for the Megane to run with high revs. When doing 70 MPH the rev counter is sitting at around 3500 and when it hits 80 it jumps up to 4000! Talk about gutsy! The clutch bite is at the end of the pedal and it makes changing gear look like I have just started driving!!
Some feedback on this would be good from the more experienced owners!! Apart from those niggly things, the Megane is Brill and I love it!

Thanks again .

Husky

PS I get, on average 44 MPG, according to the computer!

jono35

Postby jono35 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Welcome Huskygsx

I’ve also got the 16 vvt on a 53 plate. After driving my Vectra the first thing I noticed with the Megane was the high revs and road noise at about 70. 80 is hell. I have also driven a mates megane and it’s the same. As for the clutch mine feels fine, best you get a second opinion on yours.

timbo*

Postby timbo* » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:00 pm

yep, I get about 4200 revs at 80mph, and mines a 1.4...

clutch is very high - dont worry about it - practice makes perfect!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 am

Husky,

For a petrol engine 3500rpm is the torque peak, which is also the mode of minimum wear and maximum efficiency. It is followed by the maximum power peak at 5500rpm giving you a wide margin for overtaking. So, it is normal, enjoy it.

I can't comment on noise. My car is diesel and it is quiet at 70mph running just 2000rpm in the 6th gear. Some road noise may be comming from the tyres. Yours are low profile, which are supposed to be noisy. Tyre model and pressure also have an effect on noise. Here you will find test results including road noise for various tyres:
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html
https://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/default.asp?TL=2

Welcome to the forum.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:36 am

Welcome along Husky.

That mpg figure looks blooming good for a 1.6 :shock:
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

huskygsx

Thank you

Postby huskygsx » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi there,
thanks for the welcome and thanks to you all for such a quick response! I'm glad for the confirmation that the revs are fine and normal. Beginning to think it was just me and my Megane! The MPG is good because, by the time I hit 30mph, I am in 5th gear. The car drives beautifully like that and goes round roundabouts perfect in 4th! Dont know if thats normal for the Megane? But it works!
Thanks again for the welcome and the good feedback.

Husky

Return to “Problems / Questions”