Rev's problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

seagreen40

Rev's problem

Postby seagreen40 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 am

Hi all,

Really hope someone where can help me and/or give me any advice.

Have a 1.6 VVT Dynamique on an 03 plate (petrol).

On sunday the car lost its "rev's", it just wouldn't tick over. This happened whilst I was driving and was able every time to restart but obviously caused a problem at traffic lights etc. Therefore, thought I would take it to my local dealer on Monday morning.

Monday morning came and the battery was a flat as a pancake. Called the AA who jump started it, it immediately started and the rev's were OK.

Took it to the dealer, explained the problem I had on Sunday. They did their diagnostic check and all it came back with was that the battery was knackered - so I had that replaced.

All seemed well until yesterday driving home from work, Rev's failed again. This time not so bad that it was cutting out completely it would idle at around 500 with great difficulty so I still had to keep my foot on the accelerator. I did notice that when it was like this the engine sound more like a Diesel engine.

Then, again, this morning the battery was flat again - jump started it, and it drove fine.

Dealers have been good, I am taking it back to them on Monday and they will give me a courtesty car whilst they look at it.

Has anyone experienced problems like this themselves, or does anyone have any idea what it can be.

I really do not want them to pass me off saying the diagnostics have come back fine, as it is obviously an intermittant fault .

Many thanks for any advice or information you can give me.

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:48 am

could be the dephaser pulley problem,which is very common on 1.6 petorl engines :cry:
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 pm

As mentioned this does sound like a failed Dephaser Pulley which are expensive to replace out of warranty.
It could also be a faulty TDC sensor or a failed coil. I would go down this route first before the finger of blame is pointed at the Dephaser.

If your battery was flat something is draining it :?

A Renault dealer will be able to (or should be able to) diagnose the problems.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

candy_xyz

Yep mine is doing the same

Postby candy_xyz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:59 pm

i have had my dephaser pulley and tdc sensor changed, for 9 months it been running fine.

now its cutting out again when the revs reach the idling point, so its cutting out at every junction, not sure wot it is this time, it doesnt feel the smae as it did with te dephaser pulley (ie a lull in power when i am driving), so far my car has been into renault for a whole day and they cannot find n e the fault.....
Megane VVT Dynamique (2 door) Hatch
Petrol, Manual
1.6 Engine
'53 plate registered October '03
Mileage 47k (March 06)

Return to “Problems / Questions”