Is my Engine about to die?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sprinter400uk

Is my Engine about to die?

Postby sprinter400uk » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:05 am

Dear All,

Renault Megane Dynamique 1.4 16V (32000 Miles) - Registration Date: 04/2003 - Full Service History

My car has been running like a dream. Starts first time, every time and I get 35 to 37 MPG on a full tank and it's very responsive and I enjoy the smooth drive!

I did my usual commute home on Friday (40 Miles) of which 30 Miles is Motorway and it cruises fine at 70/75 MPH.

I didn't touch it yesterday but just started it up and the whole engine was vibrating heavily with loads of clicking and loud metal to metal noise and then it died! I tried it again and it did the same!

I checked Oil which shows full (it was changed last service 4000/6 months ago) and engine management light didn't indicate that anything was wrong!

I tried it again after 30 mins and everything seems fine... very smooth & quiet as if nothing happened!

I'm so confused (also worried!)

Anybody got any ideas?

Kindest regards,
Mike

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:48 am

Very strange indeed, I would be worried as well as my engine gave such a noise. But at least it's running again.... :?

I suggest to take it to the dealer as soon as possible to have it fully checked to be sure nothing is damaged!

Good luck! :D
Megane II 5D-Hatch 2003 * 2.0 16V Autom. Dynamique * Gris Boreal
17" Steppe * Leather * RS front grilles
Xenon + 5LED side lights * Clear side indicators * Ph. 2 rear lights
Cabasse Tunerlist * Pioneer TS-Q131C/TS-E1396 * Ice>Link Plus + iPod

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Mike,

There are many things in the engine and around it which may produce a metal-to-metal noise whent the engine abnormally vibrates due to, for example, an engine management fault. Many such faults are not shown to the driver, but stored in the memory of ECU. You may want to have them checked.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:26 am

I didn't touch it yesterday but just started it up and the whole engine was vibrating heavily with loads of clicking and loud metal to metal noise and then it died! I tried it again and it did the same!

Get your ignition coils checked. If one of these is starting to break down and the engine was on running on 3 cylinder then everything would have rattled and shaken.
Was is damp where you live yesterday by any chance?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

sprinter400uk

Postby sprinter400uk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:15 am

Cheers guys,

Had it all checked out and everything is 100%... it's really spooky. The garage boys must have thought I was an idiot!

Drove 100 Miles yesterday.... all motorway and no problems whatsoever!

Maybe I was dreaming after all???

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:52 pm

Probably your coils, they start off with intermittent faults then they totally go
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

Return to “Problems / Questions”