squeaking brakes

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dci120matt
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2001 Peugeot 306 GTI-6 ohh yesss
1988 renault 5 1.7 GTX

squeaking brakes

Postby dci120matt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:55 pm

hi all again, i have noticed that when going at low speeds say up to 25mph i have a quiet squealing from the drivers side rear wheel, have people come across this before, i only notice if the drivers window is down and after i have applied the brakes, do you think it is the pad sticking? cheers

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:25 pm

I had it ages ago and fixed DIY. The reason was rust forming under the stainless steel guides. As a result, the guides pressed against the pads thus preventing them from moving freely. I removed the rust, painted over the surfaces prone to rust and replaced the pads with GreenStuff from EBC. No problems since.

Please note: if your disks are damaged/worn/corroded, then replacing pads is useless.

Another reason for brake binding can be a stuck hydraulic cylinder. If brake fluid is not changed every 2 years, then the fluid gets saturated with water and causes internal corrosion. This is the characteristic of the fluid and not the car, so regardless of what is written in the service schedule, the fluid must be changed every 2 years!

In particularly bad cases the dealers first "clean" the pads, and then either replace them or replace the callipers. The main problem here is to convince the dealer that the fault is not caused by wear and tear...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

kia2802
Passed Theory

Postby kia2802 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:55 pm

at work we normaly have to replace the full brakeing system
1.4 , Sport Tourer , Dynamique , Extreme Blue And A Whole 96 BHP !!!!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”