Urgent help needed please

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Urgent help needed please

Postby chrislloydie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:24 am

Hi all, I need some urgent advice regarding my 54 plate 1.6 auto. The car has done 38000 miles but unfortunately due to me not working for the last few months i have not been able to afford to have the 36k mile service done, so its overdue by 2300 miles.

Yesterday while returning home, about half mile from my drive, as i went to pull away from traffic the toxic fume filter warning light came on, accompanied by the red service light and a message on the screen saying 'check gearbox'. Also the engine began running very lumpy and noisily and there was a major loss in power. I have read thru the other posts regarding the toxic fume filter light, but i am very worried about this 'check gearbox' message which is also showing.

Also, as i have not had the 36k service done, will renault refuse to fix car under warranty?

PLease help as i need my car running asap!

many thanks
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Firstly Renault will be within their right to refuse to do any warranty work. However, I would hope and expect (depending on the dealer) that they will overlook your discretion and agree that, provided you have the service done ASAP, your warranty will still stand.

IMPORTANT: choose a dealer with a good rep and be really really nice to them
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:31 am

I would say that possibly one or more coils has gone if the engine is running badly? (common on 1.4 and 1.6 lumps)

This might also be causing issues with the Auto box? Check eBay for some new coils or Ring the AA if you are still under warranty?

trev: posted this link: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0156662527
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:36 am

Start with checking the oil level and its quality. Then look at the colour and condition of the spark plugs. This might give you an idea.

The gearbox message is likely to be caused by the engine refusing to respond to the commands of the gearbox computer.

Additionally, please feel free to read the repair manual in the second link in my message in the Links section.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:01 pm

Thanks guys, called out AA yeterday evening. Diagnosed faulty coil number 4, replaced it and car is now running smooth again and check gearbox message and all warning lights have gone. Gonna book it in to have service done and coil number 1 replaced as advised. Also the aa guy advised having all spark plugs replaced.

So touch wood my car is back on the road. Just gotta sort out problem with overdue service now.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

-henry
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II Dynamique Sport
Ottoman Blue

Re: Urgent help needed please

Postby -henry » Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 am

i have a similar problem to that of the original poster. The check gearbox and service light has come up 3 times in 3 days for me now and at exactly the same spot each time. I feel like i've just run over something on the road everytime this happens, there is bang and then the car kind of revs? I restart the car and the message and gone. I am not sure what the problem could be, the last service was 3 months ago
please help!
Ottoman Blue Renault Megane Dynamique Sport !

grussell
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique Auto
BMW Z3 1.9 Auto

Re: Urgent help needed please

Postby grussell » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:07 pm

-henry wrote:i have a similar problem to that of the original poster. The check gearbox and service light has come up 3 times in 3 days for me now and at exactly the same spot each time. I feel like i've just run over something on the road everytime this happens, there is bang and then the car kind of revs? I restart the car and the message and gone. I am not sure what the problem could be, the last service was 3 months ago
please help!

Do you know what this was? This sounds like what is happening to my car?

Return to “Problems / Questions”