extended warranty

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

204driver

extended warranty

Postby 204driver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi i have a 2004 1.9dci 120 with 32000 miles and the warranty runs out at the end of this month. I've owned it from new and have changed the oil and filter myself between the 18000 mile services. Car has so far been 100% reliable with only a couple of minor faults. Another years warranty from renault is £500. Should i go for it???

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:19 pm

Depends what's covered. £500 seems a bit steep. See if they will come down. You could always try another provider but check the small print very carefully.

I've not bothered with the extended warranty on mine. Like yours mine has been 100% reliable but only a few small but irritating faults. I'm taking the risk.

Renault 4 Life :)

fhmboy
Passed Theory

Postby fhmboy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:58 pm

my thoughts exactly I have 54 plate with numerous problems see previous threads, i'm trying to get reno to extend it at their cost but to no avil yet anybody else had any joy doing this, mine will be goin in for its second new clutch (no its not me) on thurs so i'm using this as ammo against reno, ps a afar as i can tell the waranty is the same as the original so most things are covered
Image usual probs but love the car!!

redcbr600fs
Passed Theory

Postby redcbr600fs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 pm

I took extended warranty out on my Meg. Went through Lookers, and took out their warranty and not the Renault one which was far to expensive. Lookers use a company called Lumley i think. Anyway i took out an extra 3 years for around £550, and that cover everything your original warranty did.
For the first 2 years all was well then in the 3rd year i had a TDC sensor replaced, hands free passenger door sesnsor replaced and the infamous dephaser pulley replaced which more than covered the amount i paid for the warranty.
So it depends if you are a gambling man, and you only need to read the pages of this site to realise it's like playing russian roulette but with four bullets in the revolver, so, as clint eastwood would say, "Do you feel lucky" 8)
Mégane (52) 1.6 16vvt Dynamique, Sport Hatch, Black, Comfort pack.17" Alloys

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Mine is very reliable so far, although the dealer attempted to introduce a few faults in the past. I decided to service it DIY, which is easy, and not to have any extended warranty. Instead, I invested in rain tyres, GreenStuff pads, proper engine/gearbox oil, brake fluid, good wipers, headlight bulbs, etc. In my view the risk is minimum, as it is a well designed and cheap car.

Just came back from the 2k miles trip in France, where the car behaved very well. The only problem were the rattles at high speeds. I tracked them down to my wrist watch, bottles of wine in the boot and the love of my life...

1.9 DCI Expression, late 2003 (Bosch ECU).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Gordon
Learner Driver

Warranty

Postby Gordon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:24 am

Hi
My 53 Meg Auto has an extended warranty until it is 4 yrs old this Sept. and that was given me by the dealer when I bought it (I insisted on this free). It is an AA 5* Gold with some limitations as to wear and tear etc.

They phoned me last week and offered me a good deal (I think) to renew.

This is; for two years full warranty inc. wear and tear etc PLUS 2 yrs full AA relay/homestart. The whole lot for only about £660 (with option of paying monthly without interest) and can cancel with 1 month notice at any time or changed deal to another car.

I think this sounds good - I am thinking the dreaded dephaser!!

Gordon

Return to “Problems / Questions”