Which other engine parts are coded to the ECU ?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nico

Which other engine parts are coded to the ECU ?

Postby nico » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi, :D

Just want to let people know, if you get a none renault garage to replace your alternator to save your self a few quid. Be aware that it is coded to the car, and there are over 4 different type of manufactures.

As i found out to my expense :cry: (2 weeks and 1300 quid later).

I have seen the codes posted on the site some where but cann't remember where.

If the code is not replaced to corespond to the manufacture it will blow your computer, as it did with mine. :evil:

I would like to know if anybody knows which other parts are coded apart from the diesel pump :?:

A very unhappy 1.5 dci owner

xr25
Passed Theory

Postby xr25 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi Nico, When you mention codes ? what are the codes you are talking about ? The injection ecu and the uch behind the glovebox only require the immobiliser code. Whilst the upc next to the battery requires to know what the alternator type/make is.
xr25

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:29 pm

I presume you mean that there are different output voltage ratings for the different alternator models?
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

xr25
Passed Theory

Postby xr25 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:16 pm

correct

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:06 pm

So thhe wrong one will blow the ECU up? :lol:
225 5dr FF + Xenons

http://www.meganesport.net

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:33 pm

Whatever happened to fitting a new alternator with an output of 13.8V that just needed polarizing?

I think I'm the missing link. Last time I replaced one, you slackened off two bolts and the driving belt was loose. A bit of basic electronics and spanner work later and you were free to motor again.

Are all modern vehicles this complex? My PC can tolerate voltage fluctuations within +/-.5 volts in most cases. If an overgenerous alternator fries an ECU, then the basic design of the ECU and/or alternator is flawed. Even a simple graduate of electronic engineering could circumvent that - just add a zener diode. That's what path my training would lead me down.

Why does the ECU need to know the alternator type?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”