Steering Lock on fault - take care or it can be expensive

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

brother1

Steering Lock on fault - take care or it can be expensive

Postby brother1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:41 pm

My 03 Renault Megane is showing the fault steering lock on and will not start. The dealer have looked at the fault and are quoting a total repair bill of £1800. They believe the whole steering column will need replacing as well as the steering locking switch. I believe the dealer is intent on ripping me off big time. I am quickly lacking confidence in their ability to appropriately solve this problem.

Two months prior I spent approximately £700 repairing a flowery technical term thing their computer suggested was the fault, which entailed the replacement of parts including the changing of the cam belt only to find the same problem still existed. The fault was then put down to a faulty switch.

Four days later after having no vehicle i again complaint to the dealer this time to someone with more authority. I was informed that they could not remove a bolt and this is the reason for having to replace the whole steering column.

To find out why a dealer would have so much difficulties removing a bolt i took an independant technician with me to assess the problem. The technicians evaluation was that the dealer had attempted to remove the Locking Switch in the locked position leading to the thread being worn possibly on both the steering column and the actual bolt, hence new steering column required.

Renault Birmingham was aware of their engineer's mess up and tried to pass this on to me there customer at great expense.

Currently they still have to vehicle and a very angry customer to deal with.

Those of you with vehicles outside its warranty beware. If unsure get an independent engineer involved and ask to see what the problems are before handing over large sums of money to cover up their incompetence or to help them meet targets.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Unfortunately your story is a familiar one, many of the bigger dealerships offer very poor customer service.
Can I suggest you have a look at this. https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=1158
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

jonburton
Learner Driver

Postby jonburton » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:31 pm

I've just had a similar fault with my Spanish Megane CC. When removing the keycard you could hear the electronic steering lock click in, but you could still turn the steering wheel. I didn't get any warning messages though.

The car had just run out of the manufacturers 2 year warranty, but I'd extended it ( luckily 8) ) for an extra 2 years.

I presumed that it would just be the steering lock which needed replacing (thanks WebCode). The dealer had a look and said I needed a whole new steering column. Car was with them for 2 days having it fitted but the problem was still there! They then fitted the new electronic steering lock which fixed the problem.....

Now I guess it is possible that both components had failed, but you would have presumed they'd try the cheaper option first.

Didn't cost me anything - but it did cost my warranty company approx. 2000 euros :lol: :lol: :lol:
2.0 VVT dynamique coupe/cabriolet, 17" Nervasports, cruise control, negro nacarado

brother1

Steering lock on fault

Postby brother1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:18 am

Thanks IainMW your advice and suggestion was very helpful :D .

I have again had to contact the dealer regarding my once beloved Megane 2 and was told that the problem was down to a loose nut on this particular part. I find this hard to believe in light of viewing the new part and how it connects to the column. What somehow would normally result in the removal of a costly steering column is now just a simple loose nut :?:

I am unsure but my suspicion is that it is likely the dealer has bodged the repair by simply tapping the hole on the steering column rather than replacing the column, which previously they were suggesting would be standard practice when one attempts to remove the electrical steering locking bolt in the locked position.

Again I have asked for the parts to be left for our inspection. After eight days without a vehicle, for no just reasons, my patience is running on empty :evil: .
Last edited by brother1 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

brother1

Postby brother1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:59 pm

More flowery technical stuff received this morning from the dealer about the fault being the result of a loose nut. The parts were shown to us. The bolt had no wear on it what so ever. It would be interesting to know whether anyone has any knowledge of this area of fault, and whether it is possible that it is held together by a nut rather than threading straight into the steering column?

This thing is bugging me so much to the extent whereby I have been to the library to check in the Haynes manual to see how this particular fault would occur.

The manual states that the steering column lock can only be removed when it is in its unlocked state, meaning that the keycard would have to be in its slot. It then goes to mention that the bolt has a left-handed thread i.e, it unscrews clockwise (take note some Renault Dealers). Information for those of us who happen to be just outside our warranty but still expects a good level of honest decent service.

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 pm

If it's anything like the lock on the Scenic II (which it probably is) then it probably was held in by a shear head bolt. i.e. when it's tightened to a certain torque the head comes off to prevent it being removed.

I would imagine that the "engineer" has then tried to remove it by drilli it out or some other method and has completely bodged it up.

They are probably showing you a random bolt they found on the floor rather than the actual one that came out
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

brother1

Postby brother1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks cactusbob, I am not sure how shear head bolts work. Is it designed to always shear on removal? Or does it simply function like any other bolt? Is it a bolt were particular care is required? The Haynes manual also states that the bolt may be of the shear type. Jonburton’s reply to a similar fault would suggest the dealer was able to exchange the electrical steering locking without again replacing the column.

I am on my eighth day without my Megane 1600 VVT with sports spoiler and heated seat 8) .

The dealer has informed me that they are experiencing difficulties getting the vehicle started and have got it hooked up to their diagnostic computer (£84 standard charge before looking at your vehicle). The dealer state that the car will not start, the outside temperature reading is stating that it is over 2000 degrees, yet the computer is telling the mechanics everything is fine and dandy (lovely weather outside). I have been told there is now good news and my vehicle is ready for collection along with the invoice. Now this were the fun begins :roll: .

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:53 am

A shear head bolt is designed so that the head comes off when it reaches its maximum torque on tightening. The idea is that you screw it in easily with conventional tools, the head then pops off leaving a tamperproof finish.
225 5dr FF + Xenons

http://www.meganesport.net

brahanII
Learner Driver

Postby brahanII » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi,

I believe there is a recall in Germany at the moment for Scenic IIs regarding Steering lock/column fault wonder when it is coming to the UK :?:

brother1

Postby brother1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:24 am

Had to have a serious rant and rave with RCS yesterday and refused to speak to the service manager at the “stealers”. The service manager was completely unprofessional and neither rational, logical nor sensible :nut . He was more than aware of my grievance yet was unable to defuse the situation by simply demonstrating how my theory was incorrect :conf .

He instead attempted to blind me with science and argue. I think there are training issues there that need to be addressed.

Anyway I have my vehicle back :driving after negotiating a settlement with another manager who was far better at customer relations than the service manager. Morally I feel I should take this further to protect other consumers from paying out for unnecessary parts and labour :tem . I think I will sell the car and get a German or Japanese vehicle so I may not grace this area again :wor . Thanks all who listened to my moans and groans.

PS. If anyone has any thing that can help me in my crusade to protect the Megane 2 users particularly around this locking issue please post away.

Thanks brahanII, I think the German recall needs to be pursued further where did you receive this information?

brahanII
Learner Driver

Postby brahanII » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi Brother,

Here is the link to the site I found the info on. I'm sure you will be able to use a translator on it OK.

Good hunting. :D

https://www.scenic-forum.de/forum/index. ... babd92eff4

charlick
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9dci Saloon

Re: Steering Lock on fault - take care or it can be expensive

Postby charlick » Thu May 01, 2008 9:34 pm

My Megane 04 1.9dci has just come up with "steering locked" & won't start. Any Advice?

sav0
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci 53 Plate

Re: Steering Lock on fault - take care or it can be expensive

Postby sav0 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:27 pm

when my steering lock stayed on it was caused by a serge when i disconnected/reconnected the battery something to do with a faulty wire . the problem was just cleared in the ecu and the wire fixed.

Still cost me £170 but it was half the price of the steering lock to be replaced £270+vat for the steering lock and then fitting. I was told these are blank and coded to your car so its not as though you can go to the scrappies to get a replacement either.

victorhora
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 2.0 16v Sedan 07 - Brazillian Version

Re: Steering Lock on fault - take care or it can be expensiv

Postby victorhora » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Hello friends!

I was having a problem with my Megane that's exactly like this one:

"When removing the keycard you could hear the electronic steering lock click in, but you could still turn the steering wheel. I didn't get any warning messages though."

I saw that cactusbos had gave his opinion on that matter, by saying that it could be a "shear head bolt. i.e. when it's tightened to a certain torque the head comes off to prevent it being removed."

The thing is that I asked for a mechanic (not the Renault dealer) to check that fault from me...

Apparently the guy tried to remove the electric steering column lock without unlocking the steering wheel first, and he says that it appears that the bolt is "broken"...

So I kindly ask for help... do you know if only this bolt can be changed somehow? Or maybe only changing the lock should fix it?

I'm thinking about towing the car to the Renault dealer and ask them to try to fix it or replace the part only the lock... Changing the steering column lock will cost something around £500.00 here in Brazil... :(

I really don't want to buy a WHOLE new steering column along with the lock, here in Brazil that could end up costing something like £1.500.00!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”