Service and Toxic fumes lights, and sunroofs

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Service and Toxic fumes lights, and sunroofs

Postby alhenderson » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 am

Morning All,

Driving home last night, and the SERVICE and engine light (toxic fumes light, I think they call it) both came on. It was serviced 2,000 miles ago so it doesn't need a service. I did have the display changed over last year meaning that the mileage is no longer in synch with the servicing, but even taking that into account doesn't explain it.

If it thinks it needs a service, I'm happy to ignore it (can I get rid of the SERVICE light somehow?) but I'm not sure that the other light should come on at the same time.. The car is driving fine at the moment.. Any thoughts?

My sunroof has also given up the ghost - couple of weeks back it refused to close properly, would only go as far as the first opening position. I managed to close it using the manual override method from the manual, but since then its refused to budge. I'm assuming the motor is gone, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Very fed up with this car now, its days on my driveway are numbered, as its turning into a money pit now its out of warranty, should have got rid last year before it ran out!!

Al.

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:17 am

The switch often plays up - try waggling it from side to side.
When you deadlock the car the roof should close.

Renault Build A Better Car :D

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:14 pm

Woody Woo wrote:The switch often plays up - try waggling it from side to side.
When you deadlock the car the roof should close.

Renault Build A Better Car :D

Yeah, I've given it plenty of wiggle, but there's no life in there as far as I can tell. I keep hoping one day it'll decide to come back to life, as things tend to do on the Megane, but no luck so far..

Al.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: Service and Toxic fumes lights, and sunroofs

Postby markren2004 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:57 am

alhenderson wrote:(can I get rid of the SERVICE light somehow?)
Al.

if it thinks it's due a service you can see this on the trip computer, "Miles to next Service ...." with a spanner.
If this is 0, then reset it by holding the reset trip pin on the speedo dash for 10secs until it beeps.
if the miles is showing way in the future then theres it's indicating a problem with the engine mgmt.
The "Toxic Fumes" message could be on for a number of reasons, an ignition coil is not working correctly or TDC sensor are 2 possibilities.
only way to know for sure is to get it on the diagnostic computer or replace parts by trial and error.

Return to “Problems / Questions”