Juddering Brakes

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

neilhelen0

Juddering Brakes

Postby neilhelen0 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:48 am

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can answer a quick question. I had new brake pads and discs put on my Megane last November and for months and months they squeeked which drove me mad. Now the squeeks have been replaced by a juddering in the steering wheel when braking and also it feels like the brakes are very slightly being applied and released when just coming to a stop (very hard to explain the sensation i am frantically trying to think of a way to explain it). No sorry cant' think of exactly the best way to explain the sensation i just hope that someone else has experienced it. Oh let me try this, it feels as if the pads are slipping on the discs slightly, they will bite then intermintantly slip which results in the occupents experienceing a forward and backwards motion in their seats while slowing down. Does that make sense to anyone, if it doesn't and nobody can help i think i will try the hammer to brakes system and see if that helps LOL if it doesn't at least i can say the brakes are knackered and i know whats wrong with them because i have smashed them up.

Cheers guys

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:09 am

Discs might be warped, if theres an indent over a couple of millimeters on the edge of your discs, this could be the case, but if you only put new discs on a year ago sounds strange, unless you do alot of excessive braking, lol.

neilhelen0

Postby neilhelen0 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:16 am

Don't brake excessively too scared too I know Meganes are well known for throwing you through the windscreen when you only breathe on the brakes LOL (not literally). I have spoken to Renault this morning and they are going to have a look at them for me as its got to go in for a new earth cable which broke the other week and also a rotary switch in the steering. So i will see what they say if they are warped then i will be taking it back to the dealer that fitted the new discs and pads and demand they are changed again, as they are still under the 12 months guarantee that should have been issued by the brake manufacturers. There has to be something wrong with them as i remember that when i first had the meggy when you tapped the brakes it threw you forward as it took me by suprise and took a few week to get used to it, but know even if you stamp on the brakes sometimes its not as responsive as before, suppose it could be a hydrolic problem rather than the actual discs. Oh well lets see what renault say next week. Fingers crossed it wont cost me anything as its still under warranty.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Perhaps there is a fault on the ABS causing it to operate when it shouldn't.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

neilhelen0

Postby neilhelen0 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks Jonault i will ask Renault to check it out.

Return to “Problems / Questions”