Dephaser pulley

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dine-a-mick

Dephaser pulley

Postby dine-a-mick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi All,
Had my car (Scenic 1.6VVT) in for a noise problem on Monday this week (09/07/07), Noisy at start up on occasions and a squeak from the engine belt area, but this would only be noisy for the first ten minutes or so. Had it in at renault garage 6 weeks ago and was told there was nothing wrong. Noise persisted so I booked it in again on Monday and said you can have it all week, to enable them to start it up from stone cold. I got a call yesterday afternoon saying your car is ready to pick up! it was your dephaser pulley that was making the noise, hence new timing belt kit and alternator belt as well. So driving it home it was like a different car.
So if anyone else is suffering similiar symptoms it could be the same problem? So I punched in Dephaser pulley and this amazing site popped up, with a wealth of info, fantastic.
Scenic 1.6 VVT Dynamique, 54 plate, colour: Mercury

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 am

Welcome to the Club :wave

Unfortunately the Dephaser Pulley is a common fault on the 1.6vvt engine, hence all the threads :(
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:51 pm

as a newish owner of a out of warranty second hand 1.6vvt Megane my one worry with the car is this Dephaser Pulley issue, sounds like it just a matter of time before it goes wrong ?

Is it a part that can be changed as a matter of routine when cambelt is eventually changed ? costly ?

As it's such a common problem has anyone managed to convince renault it is not of merchantable quality/not fit for purpose from the "sale of goods act" and therefore should cover cost of repairs for 6 years.
interesting link.... https://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sh ... 38311.html

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:54 pm

I don't think it's a case of when it fails, more if it fails. Some do some don't!

I'm not sure if there is a Yellow OTS for the Dephaser Pulley, but it would be worth contacting the VOSA and the DTI about this?

You only have to look at how Renault handled (and is still handling) the problem with Turbo failures on the 1.9dCi F9Q engines under a Yellow OTS scheme, it's shambolic to say the least!

Just look on the Parkers forum or on here at this link https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=4518
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

dine-a-mick

Postby dine-a-mick » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:57 pm

in reply to markren 2004 My father had a 53 plate Scenic 1.6vvt for 2 whole years before he changed the car, without any engine dephaser problems, in fact virtually no problems while he had it.
In my case my dephaser problem only started showing up about 10 weeks ago. When finally I got it sorted under warranty thankfully, but I hear it is in the region of £500 to put right at a Renault garage.
hope this helps "markren 2004".
Scenic 1.6 VVT Dynamique, 54 plate, colour: Mercury

Return to “Problems / Questions”