Water in boot syndrome...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

m_walker1983

Water in boot syndrome...

Postby m_walker1983 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:12 pm

Has anybody else experienced a pool of water in the well under the spare wheel? Got a 3dr sport hatch 04.... any suggestions, it keeps re-appearing!?
Also, my hadbrake seems real pig to take off... is that a common problem?

Only collected car last week, took out 1 yr warranty as out of manufactures.

Other than that, lovin the car!
SPORT HATCH DYNAMIQUE - 1.9 DCI 120 - 17"
Love the car, dislike the reliability

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:55 pm

water in the boot will probaly be a rip in the rubber seal around the boot.

try taking everything out of the boot, then wash your car (with the boot closed!! you might see where its comming from.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

gromit

Water in boot

Postby gromit » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:56 pm

I had the problem of water in the tyre well inside the boot, also the back seat squabs were soaked.

Dealer wanted the car for a week to determine the leak. Didn't fancy the bill so checked it out myself.

Problem was a rubber insert that the plastic trim attaches to along the roof. Mine are made up of three sections. first and second section are secured with a bolt through the roof (great design) ant the last section is attached by two small pegs that latch under the second piece at one end and a plastic peg similar to the retainers that hold door trim inplace. This pushes into the rubber insert at the boot end.

As it is situated on the roof (doh!) and in the main gutter !!! once water found it's way past it just flowed every time we had a heavy shower.

Check in the boot behind the side trim, if it's like mine, one side will be sodden.
Old Citroen drivers don't die, just go mad and buy a Renault

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:47 pm

My rear leak ........ ooer missus :lol: was due to incorrect fitting of the washer jet after I'd had the rear spoiler fitted :cry: all sorted foc though :D
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm

Yes I have had this problem. What confused me at the outset was how all the interior of the boot was (mats etc) bone dry, but the water was still getting in.

I took everything out (jack/wheel etc) and dried it out with a mop and towels until everything was bone dry. Closed the boot, poured water all over the place into the joints, the works.

The water was coming in under the metal at the back of the car in the gap between the plastic spare wheel container and the metal. With the boot open, i poured more water around specific areas and found that the leak was on the chassis where the rubber stops on the tailgate hit a plastic buffer on the car. There was a gap in the metal around the plastic. I filled it with blue-tac and repeated test - no leak. Removed the blue tack and did both sides with outdoor frame sealant. Not had a leak since.

03 1.9DCi Dynamique 3door.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

m_walker1983

Water in boot...

Postby m_walker1983 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Thank you all for your responses, as soon as i get a dry day to investigate (always seems to be raining when I get 5mins for a butchers...) i'll let you know the outcome. I think it most likely the same as davelowe's as no sign of water ANYWHERE except in the well!?

m_walker1983

Water in boot cont/

Postby m_walker1983 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Megane been in to Renault (Camden - Northampton) for 'Check injection' glow plug replace - had to go in twice because they didn't stock one!

Also quoted £60 to replace bulb - think i'll try myself first.

Anyway... They had a look at the leak in the spare wheel well for me. They want to charge £500 to replace exhaust brackets???? Sound ridiculous - anyone else heard of this? This is not covered under my extended warranty as it is classed as 'water ingress'

Ho Hum.

m_walker1983

Re: Water in boot syndrome... / oil for 120 DCI

Postby m_walker1983 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:27 pm

Oh no my warranty runs out in a few days - best few hundred quid i ever spent! Whole catalogue of problems since my last post, all lovingly repaired at Camden Renault in Northampton - on first name terms with all the staff there now!

1. Washer jet failure - squirters stopped working - new pump fitted (2 trips as not in stock) also were not set up once fitted so was washing the roof for a week with all the extra pressure! No charge.
2. Elec window failure - solenoid replaced. asume water damage..? Have always had pool of water in the passenger door which have previously been told was not warranty (same as boot - water ingress) Well this time i had a 'conversation' with service manager who agreed to seal up door as part of the repair. Has been in 3 times since as still not fixed but hey ho! Replaced speaker F.O.C as it was soggy.
3. Water in boot continued... RESULT! Had a mishap and got driven into the back of at low speed, new bumper and seals and hey presto - no leak. Assured by the repair company that repair covered for 3 years - woohoo!

There are other minor issues overcome not worth complaining to loudly about, compared to some I have had it easy I think (!?)

All in all have been impressed with Camden renault service, especially the front desk girls. Only annoying thing has been all the trips due to non-stock items. Also I live 20-60mins from the garage depending on time of day which is a pain in the arse. Car always comes back squeaky clean with a good check over and all faith is restored again for a few weeks. Nice thing is I have never actually paid them a penny for work carried out, have always managed to argue to get warranty.

Now for the next hurdle - MOT and 50k ish service. Having service done at 12months having covered 9k, fingers crossed all goes well. Not going to a renault dealer as want £300 quid + which is a tad ridiculous. Going to a fantastic family garage called 'Bulls motors' in Daventry who have been taking care of the day to day stuff - I would reccomend anyone to go there for honest reliable and affordable service, first class stuff. Any idea what oil is meant to be used - definitive answer please as several conflicting answers on here. Is 54 reg 1.9 DCi.

Thanks for reading,

A 'still happy with his Megane despite the lousy reliability' person

Return to “Problems / Questions”