Scenic II - Import some problems

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

smurfcymru

Scenic II - Import some problems

Postby smurfcymru » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:47 am

I have a 2006 Scenic 1.6vvt Expression purchased from Motorpoint in fact it is an import from Cyprus (new) I previously had 1.6 8 valve scenic RN which I owned for 7 years

I had passenger door glass drop into door after 1 month - Renault Cardiff were no help whatsoever and couldnt even look at it for a month (They didnt even know it was an import only that it wasnt actualy bought from them)

- James and Jenkins Cardiff were very helpful looked at it straight away and closed it temporarily-replaced mechansim when correct part eventually arrived - also modified other door windows under a warranty recall (which I suspect was all that was actually needed on the broken one) and also undertook a seat belt mounting recall while it was there.

After 9 months battery failed- RAC man said battery fitted was not an original Renault one suggested original probably died whilst in storage and Motorpoint probably replaced it with cheapest available- he said Renault probably wouldnt want to know as not their part and MP would probably sent me to renault under warranty- not wanting to enter an endless look I shelled out £45 for a Halfords cadmium replacement.

I have some other minor problems which I cant be bothered to go to renault about:

Central sliding console light and power electrics do not work and I cannot find fuses - does anyone know where connectors and fuses are that feed this?

Doors rattle when shut sometimes drivers dorr buzzes - I dont know what it is, glovebox doesnt close tightly, radio/CD will sometimes cut out when played loud - any ideas?

Other bad points- Electric handbrake is a stupid idea seat belt warning get on my T*ts and car is jerky starting off - dealer said was normal and although I dont like this aspect you get used to it

Good points- very comfortable, excellent on Motorways good on fuel can get up to 40mpg with a mix of driving ( standard unleaded gives better MPG than premium) - VVt engine is far more powerful than old 1.6 8 valve unit well kitted out for the price (£10k) climate control is a great idea

Service intervals have been programmed at £18k as UK models but book says 9k - I queried with J&J service desk and they suggested I stick to 18k

Warranty- Motorpoint said was 3yrs but I thought only 2yrs as manufacturers standard so not sure

I tried to register my card on the renault UK website but it would not acept the reg or VIN- e mailed Renault who eventually responded and said that site not currently able to accept details of imports (Car is exact UK Spec and type)- anyone with an import tried this?

On the whole if I think it is a good car let down with niggling build quality issues and dreadful support from Renault UK

adrimo

Postby adrimo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:41 pm

why would renault uk support you when you have bought an import?

shame about the niggles though i love my G scenic and the auto brake is a good idea imo.

however if you did not like this feature why buy it.

bigjohn
Passed Theory

Postby bigjohn » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:53 pm

Reault should support the car irrespective, every Renault is an import, but in Europe you get the same car for less £'s. If you buy from MP (I have) you only get a 2 year Reanult warrenty as opposed to 3 if you buy here, mind you with my wifes Clio Renault have got it wrong because I've checked with my local dealer (who have done warrenty stuff quite happily) & on the reanulat system it runs for 3 years.

If a dealer won't touch a car because they didn't supply it do you want to go to them anyway? I've had imports & cars from brokers for years, have managed to save a ot of money & had no problems at all. I had a significant brake problem with a a zafira well out of warrenty & v'hall payed a large proportion quite happily.

I get a quote from a supplier I'm happy to use & see if a franchise dealer will get near it, they have yet to.

Highly recommended are https://www.abroadbean.com/

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:16 pm

As the car came from Cyprus, have you checked that it has been undersealed?

Return to “Problems / Questions”