1.9dCi Starting Hesitation

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

1.9dCi Starting Hesitation

Postby Ray » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:48 am

Hey all!

Had a search but didn't find anything and can't remember anything from before.

Anyway, had a glow plug changed about 2 weeks ago. Since then (more so recently but possibly it's been happening progressively) it's been getting slower to start up whether it's cold or hot. My GF who knows nothing of cars even noticed and made a point to tell me.
The slowest it's taken to startup has been 2-3 seconds. It normally starts <1 sec.

So... what's up with my car now?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:19 am

When you say slower to start, do you mean slower at turning over?

If so your battery could be on it's way out?

Have you any other problems like poor MPG or performance?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Yea.. it's slow at turning over...

This morning it started and then promptly cut out. failed to turn over a second and third time but fired up on the 4th.

Just driven from cambridge to Lakeside shopping centre and the MPG and performance are about right but I had to stop as the Stop light came on with "Injection Fault".

It doesn't quite sound right at idle either... but that might just be me.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:16 am

Anyway, had a glow plug changed about 2 weeks ago. Since then (more so recently but possibly it's been happening progressively) it's been getting slower to start up whether it's cold or hot.

Just a thought, has the glowplug come loose? If so the compression on that cylinder will be down a little.

I think you need to get your battery checked, and your starter motor as well. If the car is still under warranty, I'd let Renault have a look.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:18 am

Sorry to hear about this nuisance, Ray. I've looked into the repair manual, section 13A. It is rather vague about the possible causes. The thing is that the software developers, who deserve to be shot, replaced the proper diagnostic codes with just a few ambiguous messages shown to the driver. So, the only way to figure out what the ECU is trying to say is to hook it up to a diagnostic computer. As you are a software person -- have you considered installing something like "freediag" in your laptop or PDA?

Anyway, upon reading the section in question, my guesses are:
-- power supply or wiring,
-- TDC sensor,
-- fuel pressure.

If the messages were IF+Service, then it could be the EGR valve. BTW, is it long since it was cleaned? If yes, then it will do no harm to clean it anyway.

Good luck
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:06 pm

we shall see! I'm taking the car in soon.

Injection Fault is occuring on every trip now (mainly when cold - a restart of car and it's fine) and the car just isn't turning over. was on work car park for about 5 mins.

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Car is booked in on Tuesday.

Futher info - All problems only occur from cold! I don't think it's the battery but I haven't tested it with a voltmeter.

It'll start but then revs suddenly drop by 600 or so (I thought I'd test this by holding the gas down at 2000 steadily and saw it drop to 1400 then back upto 2000). If i left it at idle, it'd have cut out and then it'd fail to start for a few times.

I'm getting an Injection fault message more often now. It happened twice this morning going work... and 3 times coming back from work!
Once before I'd even left my work car park, the second before I'd even left the business park my work is at... and lastly on the slip road joining the A-road going home.
Needless to say.. limp home mode sucks.

Once the engine's all warmed up it's fine after a stop/start.

AlexB: I've used freediag before on my old FIAT but not on the megane. Don't have the laptop around or a PDA anymore.
I personally haven't cleaned the EGR valve... I doubt renault have either.

IainMW: Not sure how to check if the glowplug is loose... nor do I know where they're located :oops:

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 pm

Well got the car back today... apparently it needed a new fuel regulator as the one in there has locked up (not sure what position).

Also got the injection computer reprogrammed.

will let you know how it goes in a few days.

Return to “Problems / Questions”