Questions about dephaser pulley??

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Questions about dephaser pulley??

Postby Hany Saad » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:39 am

I have a 1.6 auto VVT petrol engine, my car was manufactured on 2006,as I am reading many posts here,many 1.6 engines suffer from the dephaser pulley problem,so should I expect a faulty one in the future,I mean should all 1.6 engines experience this problem during their life time?and if it is changed, are the new ones more durable and they are now sorted or will they be changed again after a certain life time?

why it only happens in the 1.6 engines and not in the 1.4 for example?

any help will be much appreciated.

Regards.[/u][/b]
Megane II 2006 sedan,Grey eclipse (B66),1600cc,16V, VVT,steptronic

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:56 pm

This is like saying "how long is a piece of string?"

You may or may not experience problems with the Dephaser Pulley, it's difficult to say? I don't think Renault have deliberately engineered the 1.6vvt to have problems with the pulley, it just fails randomly.
You would expect Renault to re-engineer the pulley to stop this happening, but who knows? It would be very poor of them not to continually improve their products. Hopefully some of Nissans relablity (Renault owns 40% of them) will start showing through in their new Models, I've not heard of many problems affecting the new Clio III and likewise Renault are promoting the New Laguna as a bit step forward in quality and reliability, time will tell though?

The 1.4 engine does not have variable valve timing, this is why it's not affected by this issue.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Problems / Questions”