Spare Key Card

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

hubby7785

Spare Key Card

Postby hubby7785 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I recently purchased a Renault Megane 03 3DR Dynamique, and i must admit i love the car.

The only problem is the car only came with one Key, which i can see causing me a problem.

Is it possible to buy a key from ebay (for example) and get it reprogrammed or will I need to buy a new key from Renault.

If anybody has an idea of cost it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Matt

Steel
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI110

Re: Spare Key Card

Postby Steel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:47 pm

hubby7785 wrote:I recently purchased a Renault Megane 03 3DR Dynamique, and i must admit i love the car.

The only problem is the car only came with one Key, which i can see causing me a problem.

Is it possible to buy a key from ebay (for example) and get it reprogrammed or will I need to buy a new key from Renault.

If anybody has an idea of cost it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Matt

Since a while back you must order the card according to the Vinnr.
That rules out using a card from ebay.
Last edited by Steel on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI110 dynamique
http://www.clubrenaultsverige.com

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:58 am

Ive been recently investigating this...
you can only obtain a new "blank" keycard from MainDealer. They need to see the V5, and they order it from France - takes a week to arrive, and then they need the car to program the key for you car.
cost is about £160

for security purposes you cannot re-program a key that has already being programmed, although i think there is a method to re-program the keycard for the remote locking (but not to start the car immobiliser)

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:23 am

Seriously, how hard can this be?

There are two things involved:
1. Getting the central locking / alarm to respond to the keyfob.
Question: does the car "remember" the code transmitted from the fob, OR do we need to "program" a code into the fob?

2. Getting the car to start with the card inserted.
Question: does the car "remember" the code from the fob, OR do we need to "program" a code into the fob?

There are two discreet, separate systems involved: one transmits a code via radio, the other is read from the fob by the car's card reader. (Via induction?)

Question: what technology is actually involved? Bearing in mind the age of the system, it's not going to be rocket science, is it?
If it's anything like card-based access control systems used in buildings, the code is pre-installed on the card during manufacture - the system (in this case the car) reads and stores the valid code. It then responds to that code.
Or does Renault actually write the code to the card? If so, how do we find out the code?

(In case you wonder why I'm so interested, I have a Megane 2, but only one (elderly) key card.. no way am I paying £160.)

revver
Currently Drives:: 07 renault megane
02 vw transporter
Kawasaki zzr1400

Postby revver » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:43 pm

did you get a card sorted in the end, i to only have 1 card for my 07 megane,the is thread on the renault forum about a bloke who could reprogram them buthe has left the forum.

Zailyn
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane Estate 1.5Dci

Postby Zailyn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 am

In reality it was quite easy for me to make a new key card for my 07 Megane. I just purchased an OBD2 to USB kit that included the software required (Truecode) and a dongle to act as the key.

Once you get everything installed on the computer you just connect the computer to the car and you'll be done in under a minute.

I just bought a €20 blank key from eBay and it worked just fine.

lordmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Postby lordmat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 am

hey @Zaylin

could you maybe post a new thread explaining what you did exactly to program the new keycard?

Zailyn
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane Estate 1.5Dci

Postby Zailyn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 am

Return to “Problems / Questions”