Dash 'stop' light with warning flashes+beeps intermittently

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jonesy889

Dash 'stop' light with warning flashes+beeps intermittently

Postby jonesy889 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:23 am

Megane II '03, 1.9 Dci 120 3dr. 60k miles manual.

Had my cam belt done a week or so ago; over the last couple of days I've seen the 'stop' light flash - it goes on and off very quickly. Its only happened twice, accompanied by a beep - it happened too quickly for me to tell whether it was the oil pressure etc. warning light that came on with the 'stop' - it was one of the ones near the handbrake light.

Both times it happened whilst accelerating.

Anyone else had this, or know what it could likely be?

tuckms
Learner Driver

Postby tuckms » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 am

mate,try braking quickly or going round the corner quickly. If it comes on and goes again, check your brake fluid level.
matt

1.6 dynamique, ottoman blue.
225/40/18 rubber on wolfrace mantis wheels
lowered Koni sports suspension.
Shiny auto's LED internal light conversion( well cool)
tinted windows
Car PC with a rear media system

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:29 am

Yea, mate... If you think that the brake fluid is low, then go round the corner very quickly... :banghead

tuckms wrote:mate,try braking quickly or going round the corner quickly. If it comes on and goes again, check your brake fluid level.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

tuckms
Learner Driver

Postby tuckms » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 am

ok you got me on that one,lol
matt

1.6 dynamique, ottoman blue.

225/40/18 rubber on wolfrace mantis wheels

lowered Koni sports suspension.

Shiny auto's LED internal light conversion( well cool)

tinted windows

Car PC with a rear media system

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:13 pm

Technically you are correct. This opens another question: why is it gone low? Pad wear, of course.

My guess is that jonesy889 does not check the levels regularly and that the brake fluid was never changed since 2003. It is supposed to be changed every 2 years! Otherwise, it gets saturated with water, its boiling temperature drops to about that of water and it causes corrosion of the internal parts of the hydrolic system. It's become brown (as rust) and flakes of something are floating inside the caliper cylinders.

jonesy889, if at some stage you decide to replace the pads, don't push the pistons back into the calipers until the fluid is changed. There is a danger of dirt moving from the calipers back into the system and particularly into the ABS actuator.

tuckms wrote:ok you got me on that one,lol
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

jonesy889

Postby jonesy889 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:41 am

Warning flashed on the other day - pretty sure it was the brake one, so well identified.

It has been fully serviced by franchised dealer since new, so whether they have changed the fluid as part of normal service practice I don't know.

I've topped up the fluid with DOT 4 as recommended by the dealer, yet to see it flash on again.

Thanks for all your help.

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:39 am

Mine does this when going down hills or round sharp corners or speed bumps etc. Its the engine mountin with mine..... :roll:

Mrs J

Re: Dash 'stop' light with warning flashes+beeps intermittently

Postby Mrs J » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:57 pm

My 120dci Dynamique '53 has been doing a similar thing round corners mostly, and when accelerating a little promptly from stand-still. I hear a beeb and the stop sign lights up. I assumed it was a loose wire or something...will check the brake fluid level now though, and have a look at the appearance of the fluid.

These forums are FAB! I can always find an answer for my car niggles. Thanks to all :bow you experts out there!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”