engine cutting out!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kylehimself
Pass Plus

engine cutting out!

Postby kylehimself » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:01 pm

hi all! ive been reading various different post here about problems with the car starting, not many of them have been posted on in a while so i thot id bring it up again! i have had my 04 megane for a month or so now, i got it 2nd hand, i was told by charles hurst dealers it was in gd nick and honestly it seems it, exept 1 thing... sometimes when i push my start button, the car revs up then goes straight down again and maybe takes 4 goes to get it started. then when im driving down the street the car just cuts out on me and again takes a couple of goes to get it started. thing is, when it does cut out the cabin lights come on. but at times when im driving ligths come on and i as long as i keep the car going its fine and will carry on, but once i stop, it cuts out. only happened twice but i want it sorted... any ideas? sorry about this huge essay!

mistyhoney

Postby mistyhoney » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:00 pm

hi there have a read of some of my posts....we'v bn having the same problems and still cant find a solution to the problem! :evil:

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:37 pm

cheers for ur response, il have a wee look

xcz_megane

Re: engine cutting out!

Postby xcz_megane » Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 pm

I know this was a long time ago but wondering if you found a solution? Im in EXACTLY the same position as you, 04 megane dynamique 1.4 from Charles Hurst, losing revs and then cutting out after starting!

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Thu May 08, 2008 5:46 am

if you search posts on replacing the TDC sensor, and cleaning the throttle body as these can all help...and any recent post from me as i have had very similar issues- its normally a problem with fuel/air mixtures- these are the things it is worth checking first.
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu May 08, 2008 9:35 am

xcz_megane wrote:I know this was a long time ago but wondering if you found a solution? Im in EXACTLY the same position as you, 04 megane dynamique 1.4 from Charles Hurst, losing revs and then cutting out after starting!

havn't found anything yet. theres times my car will run fine for months and then one day this will happen. infact it just happend y'day for the first time in ages.

i would imagine these things would usually happen when the the engine is cold. i always find mine does it when the car has been used a few times durin' the day for long periods of time. which imho is when you would think the engine would be runnig nice and smooth.

best bet would be to check keeforelli's posts and see what you can find out. cause charlie hurst and his boys don't wanna know and they will only take the car out and tell you there is nothin' wrong with it.

doesn't happen all that often to me but when it does it's really p!ss annoyin' sorry i couldn't be of much help.

kyle

xcz_megane

Postby xcz_megane » Thu May 08, 2008 10:03 am

No that is a help, i had mine booked in with Charles Hurst this week until i discovered their labour charge, now I have someone from a local garage who is going to take a look. Over the last week mine hasnt done it at all, which is making me wonder could it be to do with damp getting in somewhere during the bad weather (it did this loads during the winter). I also have a rattle underneath the car though i think its just the exhaust being a bit loose. Love the car but they definately have their own quirky habits!

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu May 08, 2008 10:42 am

i love the motor too, but it's a pain in the arse. i have a local boy in dundonald do all my work now. good prices and good work. my air con is playin' up at the moment. still works fine but when you turn it on it makes a big clickin' noise and then it just wines constantly. it's a bit of a catch 22... leave it off and melt in the good weather we're gettin' at the minute or turn it on, be nice and cool and have the noise drive you mad.

where abouts you from??

kyle

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Thu May 08, 2008 5:15 pm

i have started using an independent garage with french car experience- £40 an hour labour and in the three times its been in have waived the diagnostic fee every time, given me loads of advice, and are willing to keep helping me until its sorted- proper local know your name service but with all the right equipment, and great attitude. Also been told by their ex peugeot boss that renaults/ peugeots etc are very sensitive to fuel used and NEVER to use tesco fuel as this could have been making my throttle body even dirtier, (and car could be running rough just because of it),to the extent where it could poss need cleaning again after having used tesco fuel for 2 weeks since i last had it done.

My car was exactly the same, use the car alot and it runs worse- ive had TDC sensor done, coolant sensor, and the most successful..(tho still not absolutely perfect) cure for the hot starting thing is the throttle body cleaning. This is normally an hours labour- which in RENAULT land is £££££££ ridiculous..and anywhere else reasonable for the benefityou get.

i think its definately down to temp/fuel air mixture and the car running too rich when warm with not enough air intake.

worth ago absoluteley.

:D
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

Return to “Problems / Questions”