36K Service - Oil and Filters

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Gregww
Passed Theory

36K Service - Oil and Filters

Postby Gregww » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi all

My 1.6 VVT is up for its 36K service (its only done 30K though) in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, I want to supply my own Oil and Filters to keep costs down.

Very simple question, what is the best to get (at the best cost)?

I've searched the forums but everyone who asks this type of question seems to have the 1.5 or 1.9 dCi, not the 1.6 VVT petrol.

Thanks
1.6VVT with 17" Alloys and Conti 2 Tyres, Panoramic Sunroof

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:35 pm

This is a good supplier https://www.gsfcarparts.com/
If the car is still under warranty you will need to use genuine Renault parts
As for oil I think the 1.6vvt needs a 5W30 oil that meets the ACEA A3 standard? If you look in your hand book it will tell you the recommended grade of oil for your engine. You could contact oilman for a specific recommendation or use a good motor factors. As for which is best, now that's a question only oilman can answer?

If you use a Renault dealer for your servicing, they tend to use "one oil fits all" (unless the car needs a specific one), so there is every chance you will get 10W40 semi synth or a 5W40 fully synth in it and get charged a lot of money for it to :x
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:46 pm

I agree with IainMW. You need an ACEA A3, (0-5)w(30-40) oil. All 0w... oils are proper synthetics (my choice) and most 5w... oils are "fake" synthetics, i.e. hydrocracked mineral oils. Fake synthetics are adequate for regular applications, but I prefer to spend extra £15 a year for a sort of additional reassurance... You may want to use a ...w30 for better MPG.

Prices. Total Quartz 9000 and Fuchs Supersyn 5w40 hydrocracked oils from GSF (as in Iain's post) are about £20. The best quality Motul 8100 X-Lite 0w30 proper synthetic ester based oil from opieoils is about £35 if bought on offer and with the members' discount. How does it compare? The dealer once tried to sell a 10w40 low-quality oil at about £40+labour. So, supply your own oil and top up the screenwash!

The next level in quality includes racing oils such as Motul 300V series and some others, which you, probably, don't need. AMSOIL sell good synthetic oils, which I never tried because of high prices and their dodgy distribution network.

Our local experts on oils are amsoil, LGC and oilman (alphabetical order). I am buying from oilman. See:
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=5001
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”