Toxic Fume Light Issue and Petrol Grades

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

funkythumbs42

Toxic Fume Light Issue and Petrol Grades

Postby funkythumbs42 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi people,

I have a megane II 1.4 16v sport hatch 05 plate reg.

For a while now the car has had an extremley lumpy idle but thought nothing of it as i heard it was just a charectaristic of the 1.4 engine.

The other night i accidently filled my car with 97 grade fuel instead of the recommended 95 or 98. Car ran for around half a tank with no problems until one night I was sitting at some traffic lights and the car was vibrating very madly and I was just waiting for it to die. Managed to pull away and get the car home where it was extremley slow and underpowerd and continue to shake like mad.

This sounds like the ignition coil issue, is it coincidence that its coincided with the fuel type I used. Im worried I'l take my car to the dealer and they will blame it on that and I may have to cough up.

See a lot of people here rang the aa or renault assistance. Would I be charged for this given vehicle is still under warranty.

sorry for all the questions im not all that clued up :-)

Greg

funkythumbs42

Postby funkythumbs42 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:07 pm

any ideas guys??

greg

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:25 pm

I would do the following:

-first, add a can of fuel cleaner to your gas tank, in case the fuel was contaminated

-then take the car to a service shop and tell them to hook it up to the diagnostic machine. Most probable an error code for one or more of the ignition coils will come up. Replace said coils.

Worst case scenario: a replacement fuel pump is needed.

Fortunately the 1,4 engine has some 'standard' issues and fixes, I only wish the 1,6 engine was like that... :(
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Hmm, apparently there was a problem with fuel in the UK recently, many owners reported symptoms like yours - lumpy idle and lack of power, misfires etc.

Dealers were replacing the oxygen sensors...

EDIT: ...but this was months ago, surely the fuel problem has been solved, right?

Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003

Set dephasers to stall!

funkythumbs42

Postby funkythumbs42 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:37 pm

thanks for the reply

they car is so lumpy and underpowered i really dont think it could make it to the dealer, it struggles to get past 20mph and rattles like its about to blow up.

think i will call renault assistance, hopefully they will replace the coils on the spot as some people have mentioned and that will sort the problem

greg

Jonno

Toxic fume warning light

Postby Jonno » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Mine came on today on the motorway, 1.4 Authentique 54 plate, 28,000 miles on clock. Pulled onto hard shoulder didnt cut out, pulling away again took forever to get up to speed to re enter the motorway. Phoned dealer, and was instructed to bring in. Took it to Arnold Clarke in Warrington and am waiting for a call tommorrow.

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi there

Had same prob with mine, called AA, came out (no charge because if you are under warranty, you are covered by AA Renault Assist - in the UK).

Don't think the wrong octane rating will be a problem. If you had filled up with 4 star (leaded petrol) it would be different!

Hope you resolve it quickly.

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:50 am

I put the occasional tank of BP ultimate in my 1.4. This petrol has a 97 octane rating and has caused no problems with my running to date. In fact, I think the car runs a bit smoother than when I use supermarket petrol. I have found that petrol consumption is slightly improved if the trip computer can be believed but I'm not sure if the economy offsets the higher price.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

funkythumbs42

Postby funkythumbs42 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:05 pm

got the aa out this morning, replaced the faulty coil and all is well car has never felt better!!

thanks for your help everyone!!

greg

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Glad you got it sorted. :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

Return to “Problems / Questions”