Is this a problem with the dephaser pulley???

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jonathan3145

Is this a problem with the dephaser pulley???

Postby Jonathan3145 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:43 pm

I know this may sound familiar :) but I've a dip in acceleration when passing through about 2000revs when the engine is cold. Sometimes this dip is pretty big so not what you need when pulling away at a busy junction! Sometimes the dip is barely noticeable.

Apart from this the car seems to run fine. Fuel consumption seems ok. There's no unusual noises from the engine.

So did the obvious, took the car to my local Manchester Renault dealer who did a clip test and said they could find nothing wrong.

Then checked online to find many many people complaining of the same problem, the general advice being that it's caused by some problem with the dephaser pulley, with an occasional mention of Renault technical solution #4432A which is supposed to describe all this.

So took my car back to the dealer, mentioned what I'd read online, and gave them the number of the technical solution.

Returned a few hours later to find they'd done another clip test and could find nothing wrong. They also said that no such technical solution exists, and that if there was something wrong with the dephaser pulley there's be a rattling noise from the engine when it was cold.

Please can anyone give any advice?

The dealer suggested I leave it with them a few days so they can test drive it from cold. Given that the fault is intermittant there's no guarantee they'd find anything wrong, and I'd prefer to avoid doing that if this is a known problem that Renault acknowledge.

It's a manual gearbox, 1.6 16V engine, done about 13000 miles, about 18 months old, no modifications.

In addition since buying the car January 07 it's had the following problems:
airconditioning didn't work - needed regassing (not covered by warranty)
passenger window opened itself and wouldn't shut - needed a new sensor
airbag warning light came on - faulty wiring required soldering

All in all it's had 5 trips to the dealer in 4 months. Out of curiosity, is this normal for the Megane?

And today a 'change oil soon' message has appeared, so presumably will need another visit to the garage. What fun! :D :D

candy_xyz

hello

Postby candy_xyz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:46 pm

hiya i had a similar problem with my air bag light coming on just after i had mine, the guy i bought it from said to push the passenger seat back and it would go off....altho i found this a bit odd i did, after a bit of further investigation by myself I found that the wire for this is under the passenger seat and is pretty loose, push it back in2 the hole where it is supposed 2b and its fine (as a temporary measure) screw it bak in urself and its sorted xx

Ive had very few problems with mine as yet, owned 18 months
Megane VVT Dynamique (2 door) Hatch
Petrol, Manual
1.6 Engine
'53 plate registered October '03
Mileage 47k (March 06)

Jonathan3145

Postby Jonathan3145 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Presumably then it's still under warranty? It might be worth speaking to your local Renault garage and describing the symptoms, they should fix it properly for you, mine said they'd soldered the wires so it wouldn't happen again.

Apparently while the airbag warning light is on, the airbags are disabled

Return to “Problems / Questions”