Disc and pads.....why they feel warped after about 8 months!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Disc and pads.....why they feel warped after about 8 months!

Postby bullfrog » Wed May 23, 2007 11:11 pm

i had new discs and pads put on in November last year and I think they're warping already! Bought Delphi discs and pads from Camberley Auto Factors. Can anyone recommend some better ones?

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 am

What makes you think they are starting to warp? Are you getting brake judder when press the pedal?

I always thought Delphi stuff was pretty good :?

AlexB has posted about discs before, maybe PM him?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu May 24, 2007 9:11 am

What do you mean by "warping"?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 am

as Iain said, there is brake judder when braking and not only that they are very crap, stopping is quite scary at times! :shock:

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Thu May 24, 2007 10:08 am

Maybe your pads are contaminated?
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Thu May 24, 2007 1:09 pm

i'll get them checked. A mate of mine fitted them for me so will be going back to him and saying 'Oi, was this about!' lol
He'll owe me as I'm doing some old style stickers for his old Chevron race car :)

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu May 24, 2007 1:30 pm

"Scary"? As it is not just a noise, but the actual braking is affected, then you should stop driving and investigate the problem. Remove the wheels and calipers first. If the fault is not obvious, then photograph everything and post here.

I've read somewhere, that there was a batch of Meganes with deformed brackets to which the front calipers are attached. These are sold at about £10 on ebay, if I am not mistaken. Do you remember the official Renault fix for squealing front brakes? There might be a relationship between this fix and the deformed brackets. It's just a thought. I am sure that someone like Webcode knows better...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:40 pm

if it's not a manufacturing fault or cheap parts then is it your driving style thats causing this ?
warping can happen if you have hot brakes and you leave your foot on the brake for long periods, i.e. in a queue, at traffic lights etc.
The part of the disk where the pad is connected is hotter that the rest of the disk, so as the rest of the disc cools it warps.
Thats why there is a hand brake :D

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu May 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Yep, this is one of the myths in which many drivers believe. In reality the pads are touching the disks even when the brakes are disengaged, so the handbrake makes little difference. It is recommended to use the handbrake because (a) the attention span of an average driver is shorter than the period of waiting at traffic lights and (b) as a driver in the following car may find your stop lights overly bright and be forced to keep a safe distance... :-)

Furthermore, disk temperatures in town are usually not very high, which may create a different problem. In winter the disks may stay wet after you parked the car thus causing corrosion. In super cars there is a system which keeps the disks warm (for a different reason). In cheaper models it is the business of the driver.

markren2004 wrote:...The part of the disk where the pad is connected is hotter that the rest of the disk, so as the rest of the disc cools it warps.
Thats why there is a hand brake :D
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 pm

If it's not too bad get it machined out.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

Return to “Problems / Questions”