Disk and Pad Check

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mat
Pass Plus

Disk and Pad Check

Postby Mat » Mon May 21, 2007 11:08 am

Hi all. I've not been around much lately as i've been unwell.

Sounds to me like the meggy's brakes are grinding a bit. Is there and easy way for me to check myself if the disks and pads are ok without taking things appart? The MOT is due next month so don't want it to fail that and pay 'RENAULT' prices.

Cheers in advance
Megane II Dynamique 2.0L VVTi 2004

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:30 pm

You can check the condition of the brake disks by rubbing your finger from the middle to the outside edge (obviously do this when cold). if there are any bumps or troughs then might need to be replaced. There will also be a "lip" on the outside edge that appears with wear, the lip can only be a few millimeters before they are below minimum requirement.
To best check the pads you need the wheel off and you can look thru the caliper front where there is a viewing gap where you can see how much is left on the pads.
using a torch you might get away without removing the wheel if there is enough visibilty.

The MOT check on the brakes is both a visual one on the discs (as above) and also an efficiency one to test the car stops in the distance required on a rolling road.
if they are grinding it's likely they are worn or possibly a stone stuck in them ?
apart from the noise is the car stopping ok ?

Mat
Pass Plus

Postby Mat » Mon May 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Yes, braking is still very strong.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and take a look

Mat
Pass Plus

Postby Mat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:25 pm

I took the wheel off. There looks to be just under a cm of pad left on the fronts. How does that rate for wear. I'm guessing they are fine but would be good to hear a yes or no. Cheers

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:36 am

10mm of pad left aint far of what it would have been when new, don't worry on that count. I take it as you said you'd been Ill, then the car has been laid up too? In which case its probably just surface rust which should be removed with the first few weeks running. Again as youve had a quick look and found nothing obvious, I'd drive it awhile, will hopefully settle back to normal.
B.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:44 pm

The brakes are supposed to look like in this paper:
https://www.flirthermography.com/media/2 ... 0FINAL.pdf

The rotors will be a bit shinier if the GreenStuff pads are used. There should be no corrosion, abnormal colours or deep grooves on the working surface.

This paper also contains some information about disc temperatures and examples of the urban and mixed cycles. This can be of general interest to everyone.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:09 pm

i was going to say if you needed pads there only 23 quid from halfords, and an esay job to do, rather than geting fleeced by renault,

Not sure if i already posted this but went in to renault to enquire about front wiper blades, the guy came back, and said £35.........wait............for the small one and £38 for the bigger one, nearly £80 for two front wipers i felt like slapping him, so went to halfords £16 for the two, cant complain,

Mat
Pass Plus

Postby Mat » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Cheers guys. I was a bit concerned more because the MOT is due in a couple of weeks and didn't want Renault Failing it and me ending up paying their prices. But by the sounds of it they are ok so I will risk it .....

xv_biker1
Just Passed

Postby xv_biker1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 pm

If they did fail it (hopefuly wont) you can take the car anywhere and take it back for them to check the work has been carried out. This comes under the normal MOT rules.

If it only fails on one thing then they just check that one bit.

Check https://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm for a full list of whats on the MOT and what theyll be loking for.
Also https://www.motuk.com seems to be a different site but is good also

Mat
Pass Plus

Postby Mat » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks for the links! I will check them out

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:18 pm

xv_biker1 wrote:If they did fail it (hopefuly wont) you can take the car anywhere and take it back for them to check the work has been carried out. This comes under the normal MOT rules.

If it only fails on one thing then they just check that one bit.

Check https://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm for a full list of whats on the MOT and what theyll be loking for.
Also https://www.motuk.com seems to be a different site but is good also

Not sure but there is a time limit before they test the whole lot again, they may even (have to) do that if you take iot away and bring it back
Cheers,

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:10 pm

I was told with the recent computer MOT's that a Full retest is required if the car leaves the premises and returns later(even if just taking home for the evening). If the car remained on the premises for the work to be carried out then it still depends on what has failed as to whether a full retest is required or not.
Of course it's up to the garage whether they charge for a retest or not, some do( and charge full price again !!) , some don't.

Mat
Pass Plus

Postby Mat » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:20 pm

It seems to be worse when braking turning right, or just after turning right. Do you think it could be a wheel bearing issue?

Return to “Problems / Questions”