Diesel leaks

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

megamike

Diesel leaks

Postby megamike » Sun May 20, 2007 7:17 am

Had this smell in the car. Was it a burst aerosol -no. Was it that tin of paint that's been 12 months in the boot -no. Started to smell it outside the car. Was it brake pads - no. Finally took off engine cover and with small mirror found a diesel leak from pipes onto block - vaporising. Dealt with speedily by Martin of Winchester under warranty - they put in new alternator because diesel had got in there too. They said this was a known fault!!

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Sun May 20, 2007 10:06 am

Lucky you found it before things got any worse then.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Re: Diesel leaks

Postby cyclonebri1 » Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 pm

megamike wrote:Had this smell in the car. Was it a burst aerosol -no. Was it that tin of paint that's been 12 months in the boot -no. Started to smell it outside the car. Was it brake pads - no. Finally took off engine cover and with small mirror found a diesel leak from pipes onto block - vaporising. Dealt with speedily by Martin of Winchester under warranty - they put in new alternator because diesel had got in there too. They said this was a known fault!!

106 engine by any chance??? If so make sure they changed all the pipes and fitted the new "secret" pipe clips, 'cos renault don't want to tell you about it!,

megamike

Postby megamike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 am

A year later and its done it again. Service guy said there was yet a third mod to cure problem. Still 6 months to end of warranty. Diesel no longer economical for low mileagers as price at pumps has shot up but this fault apart I think it's a great car.
1.5 dci 106 tourer dynamique with roof, handsfree, cruise, etc.

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus

Postby cyclonebri1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:22 pm

megamike wrote:A year later and its done it again. Service guy said there was yet a third mod to cure problem. Still 6 months to end of warranty. Diesel no longer economical for low mileagers as price at pumps has shot up but this fault apart I think it's a great car.

Well I'd have to disagree about the fuel< you should try buying petrol. In my experience these engines cost little or no more to maintain than the petrol variants, and even at + 8%ish, +70% fuel saving can't be beaten.

I'm interested to know of this latest fix as mine still has just short of a years waranty to run but has been faultless since the problem I mentioned. Can you tell me exactly what they did?, was it the replacement pipes I spoke of? Also I think it would have been the starter motor that was replaced not the alternator as renault recognise that the fault spews diesel into this and can result in premature failure

Let us know :cool:

Edited to add;

So I see from your new signature that it was a 106?

megamike

Postby megamike » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:35 am

Hi, yes I got it wrong, it was the starter as the service guy made clear this time. He was otherwise very cagey and kept talking about a third mod that had cured it. I mentioned did it need extra clips when I booked it in but either he thought i looked dim and wouldn't understand or they are getting very sensitive on this fault. An extra clip or so is hardly a mod.

However I suppose the diesel is under some pressure when fed in and what I don't know is whether the occasional rev up to over 4K may prove too testing. I do generally drive with a light foot.

Also agree maintenance may be much the same (??particulate filter can be expensive) but it's the original premium of well over £1000 which means 40K before you make money. I've done 15000 in 30 months!!!
1.5 dci 106 tourer dynamique with roof, handsfree, cruise, etc.

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus

Postby cyclonebri1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 pm

megamike wrote:Hi, yes I got it wrong, it was the starter as the service guy made clear this time. He was otherwise very cagey and kept talking about a third mod that had cured it. I mentioned did it need extra clips when I booked it in but either he thought i looked dim and wouldn't understand or they are getting very sensitive on this fault. An extra clip or so is hardly a mod.

However I suppose the diesel is under some pressure when fed in and what I don't know is whether the occasional rev up to over 4K may prove too testing. I do generally drive with a light foot.
Also agree maintenance may be much the same (??particulate filter can be expensive) but it's the original premium of well over £1000 which means 40K before you make money. I've done 15000 in 30 months!!!

Its nothing you are doing wrong, the fuel system is under a fantastic pressure on common rail diesels but it is of couse regulated. I never got to the bottom of the issue as indeed they seemed to want to keep it very hush hush, but I do know that there was a redesign of the return pipes and the retaining clips were changed. Did take them about 4 attempt to fix mine too. :roll:

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Postby The Negotiator » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:32 pm

megamike wrote:Also agree maintenance may be much the same (??particulate filter can be expensive) but it's the original premium of well over £1000 which means 40K before you make money. I've done 15000 in 30 months!!!

Will you not be selling the car for a premium then? ;) As in, you take the original premium for purchase and how many miles to make it back but haven't considered the additional resale value.
Was: '52 Megane 1.9dci dynamique with everything standard plus: electrically folding mirrors, handsfree locking, climate control, heated seats, panoramic glass roof, in-dash CD changer, TunePoint iPod, etc. etc.
Now: '55 Laguna Initiale

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus

Postby cyclonebri1 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Exactly, good modern used diesels hold their value very well. I don't think you can lose if you own the car for say 3 or 4 years? :kneel 1:moc :gaf2: :gaf2: :headb :headb

Return to “Problems / Questions”