3 door versus 5 door and saloon (Reliability)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Is the 3 door Megane better made than the 5 door and/or the saloon version ?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 15

Dimitris

3 door versus 5 door and saloon (Reliability)

Postby Dimitris » Fri May 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi everybody it has been a long time since the last time I posted here but I think its never too late to rise a new issue. I would like everybody to share you thoughts in this . In my family we have two of them . When I got mine a 3 door Dynamique flame red version with leather, sunroof and all the goodies of this version(chrome mirror,etc) my father decided that he should go for a 5 door priviledge one. My car was made at June 2004(at least this is what the ashtray sticker and the tyres were saying!) but I bought it-new- November 2005 (it was preregistered since July 2005). I have changed only the steering wheel lock(precautionary) as it was locking from the one side and the CD-player as sometimes it was not ejecting the CD. I have ran it for 17k flawless kilometers with nothing but a loose airbag connection that was fixed within seconds everything of course under guarantee.
Now I am driving my father's car and I have observed that it does not reach the quality levels of the 3 door version. He has only done 4000 km so far but he has had a couple of electrical failures.
Having literally read all the forum I have discovered that most scary stories come from 5 door meganes that as far as I am aware they have been produced in Spain (or I am totally wrong on that, misconception as a friend would say). I should also mention that my father has also observed the same things and this is why he has asked me to sell him the 3 door Megane as I live most of the time abroad ...with no luck of course!
Anybody else, can possibly confirm the quality gap between the 3 and the 5 door version or was it simply a coincidence that mine has no problems at all so far(touching wood). I should mention though that I am working for a French bank and sometimes I visit Athens with my French colleagues and they always mention that they cannot believe that France could produce such a quality car as mine!

Please feel free to contribute and of course VOTE!! :D
Innovate dont Immitate.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Sat May 19, 2007 8:20 pm

3 door waaahoooooo

:ye
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

Dimitris

Postby Dimitris » Sun May 20, 2007 9:17 am

I don't know..... we dont yet have what we call a "statistically significant sample" to give a verdict!
Innovate dont Immitate.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 am

Where is the 3 door model made? Country of origin may have a lot to do with quality.
I understand that some years ago Mercedes started producing cars in the USA but they had big problems with quality and finish so they pulled the plug before the quality issues damaged the reputation of Mercedes. However, they have since produced the 'A' class which has done them no favours as far as reputation for quality and reliability are concerned.
One last thought, what country produces the Megane for the French market?
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Dimitris

Postby Dimitris » Mon May 21, 2007 9:55 am

As far as I know the 3 door megane is made in France while the 5 door version is being made in Spain and the estate and the sedan is made in Turkey.
Innovate dont Immitate.

dwgendy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II Sedan, 1.6 - 16V, Grey.

Postby dwgendy » Fri May 25, 2007 5:57 am

Well, as far as I know, Hatchbacks (5 & 3 doors) are all made in France, Sedans are made in Turky and Station wagons (estate) are made in spain. We don't have the 3 door hatchback here in Egypt, and the 5 door is sold and marketed as French. (you get a letter with country of origin with the car papers, so I asume they wouldn't lie about it). Mine is sedan, and I have a letter that states it is Turkish. Had minor noise from the steering wheel that was fixed (probably some loos screws or so), dead battary once and was changed, other than that, it drives like a dream (touch wood). I have 54000Km on it... No one can out speed it yet :wink: except for a frind with a custom made engin on a 800Kg (ver light) manual Kelisa who definitly had a faster take off but then couldn't increase the gap.... So I vote for sedan
Megane II sedan, 2005, 1.6, 16V, Steptronic.

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Fri May 25, 2007 6:57 am

My 5 door was made in Spain. If you look underneath the parcel shelf, Spanish writing is visible.

Renault Build A Better Car :D

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Fri May 25, 2007 12:19 pm

I too thought the 5 door was built in Spain, along with the tourer, but the saloon wasn't built there. Not sure on the 3dr.

As far as quality, there will be small variations between batches of every component, and incremental changes etc. As well as the time/conditions when the car was on the production line. I had a 2000W Punto that only ever had 1 problem (head gasket - common on that engine), otherwise 60k miles trouble free motoring - but others had numerous problems. So I think any modern plant will produce a decent car given the right component,s but there are always some built better than others, and unfortunatly for those who get them, lemons...
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

boysie
Passed Theory

Postby boysie » Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 am

I have a 3 door Megane GT.. It was built in Spain, and hasn't been exactly trouble free!!!

dwgendy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II Sedan, 1.6 - 16V, Grey.

Postby dwgendy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Do you get papers to state the country of origin or do you guess it form the language written on parts of the car? Because I am sure I read it some where that all hatchbacks are made in France!! :?
is there a site where u can put your chase number or any serial number to get the date the car was made and where?
I guess it really a matter of luck with any car. the other day I was at the dealers for reprograming my center locking system and met this guy with a car similar to mine (sedan 2005) and he told me that his car breaks down every other day and that he thinks it is the shitiest car anyone can get. He wants to sell it but it's market value is too low to allow him to by a decent car!! Thank god I was lucky!
Megane II sedan, 2005, 1.6, 16V, Steptronic.

Return to “Problems / Questions”