Airbag/Service light, clicking steering - rotary switch?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

t0m3

Airbag/Service light, clicking steering - rotary switch?

Postby t0m3 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:03 pm

A few days ago my megane steering began making a strange plasticy clicking noise. The noise has got worse over the last few days, and eventually the airbag warning and service light came on, and have been on ever since. I also cannot lock the steering when the car is stopped.

I have removed to cowl around the indicator stalks and the noise is coming from a white piece of plastic around the back of the steering wheel - as i turn the wheel lock to lock it jumps about and clicks. Im guessing, from reading other posts, that this is the rotary switch.

Would this breaking cause the airbag light to come on? Is it an easy enough fix? I no longer have warranty so am reluctant to take it to renault for their expert help.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm afraid the only solution is to replace the rotary switch.

It costs around 250 euros without the cruise control module... :(

Search on eBay for a used part... ;)

P.S. Having replaced said switch about 5 times so far with new, genuine parts, I would expect the new one to also produce an annoying noise... It seems the only 'quiet' ones are used on new cars coming out of the factory... :?
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi!

I couldn't agree more, it's an anoying noise! Mine was replaced under warranty but started to make a noise about 5 days later again! If I remember correctly - myself and silencer 51 were posting on the subject for ages! :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

villi

Postby villi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:57 am

I Also have this exact problem.

My car is out of warrenty so i will have to solve it myself :(

Is there a part number for this, or pictures to show how to fix it.

TIA

Martin

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi Martin

For a part number and any advice, I would ask silencer 51. He has changed many of them as you will see from his post(s).

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

bazil_ca

Re: Airbag/Service light, clicking steering - rotary switch?

Postby bazil_ca » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:14 pm

can someone confirm that this problems with the Rotary Switch is direcrly connected to the 'service' and 'airbag' lights coming on?
as this is the sequence of faults(exactly) that has just happened to my Megane.
what does this 'switch' do/indicate/control?
i have a 1.6 Megane Privelidge, on 03 plate. 35k mls
the most costly car(in terms of faults) that i have ever owned!
and i really dont want to spend any more on this nightmare.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 pm

"Rotary switch" failure is common.. and Yes if the flexi tape in the "switch" is broken this will illuminate the service and airbag light.

The flexi tape is a plastic strip that carries the drivers airbag wiring. It is coils round the column inside the switch housing and allows the steering wheel to be turned from lock to lock.

It is NOT repairable as has been stated above. But ain't that cheap to replace.

Note that if you get a used one you MUST ensure that the switch is centralised/rotated correctly before installing the steering wheel. ie: if it is one turn to much clockwise or anticlockwise and you refit the steering wheel, then turn the wheel lock to lock the flexi will break.. Be warned!!
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

bazil_ca

Postby bazil_ca » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 pm

thanks for your info-even though it will be, as usual with the megane, costly :(

paulbucknall

Postby paulbucknall » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 am

About £250 from memory. Mine went when my 1.9dci estate was just out of warranty, Renault paid half.

roryj
Currently Drives:: 2003 renault megane dynamic ,00 megane 1.4 sport,classic range rover.

Postby roryj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 pm

my 1.4 megane has the service light on as well and the airbag light too, and comes up with a meesage saying steering not locked is this related to the rotary switch?

going_downhill
Currently Drives:: renault 5 gt turbo & megane ii 1.4

Postby going_downhill » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 am

WebCode wrote:"Rotary switch" failure is common.. and Yes if the flexi tape in the "switch" is broken this will illuminate the service and airbag light.

The flexi tape is a plastic strip that carries the drivers airbag wiring. It is coils round the column inside the switch housing and allows the steering wheel to be turned from lock to lock.

It is NOT repairable as has been stated above. But ain't that cheap to replace.

Note that if you get a used one you MUST ensure that the switch is centralised/rotated correctly before installing the steering wheel. ie: if it is one turn to much clockwise or anticlockwise and you refit the steering wheel, then turn the wheel lock to lock the flexi will break.. Be warned!!

Hi Guys, I'm not sure if theres a more recent thread to revive but this is most relevant to my problem. I have purchased a used rotary switch and i'm a little unsure how to centralise it. The round window is currently revealing a letter 'R' although i notice there are a few more symbols when you roate it. Can i just turn it in both directions untill it stops and figure out where the centre sits?

Meganesquib
Currently Drives:: Mégane II 2008

Postby Meganesquib » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi guys!

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life but i have One question.
Bought a 2008 Mégane II estate to a good Price knowing that the airbag light and service light was on.

I've ordered a used rotaryswitch i think its called, with the clockspring mounted. Do the partnumber identification have to be the same as is installed or can i use a unit with a different partnumber?

Cheers from Sweden.

lordmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Postby lordmat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:54 pm

i just want to post this here
lordmat wrote:not necessary to buy another column switch, just replace the flex ribbon cable...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AEaSkwFo7A

Return to “Problems / Questions”