Clutch gone after 900 Miles

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bunga

Clutch gone after 900 Miles

Postby bunga » Mon May 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi,
Im a new member and have had this experience from Renault Birmingham.
Purchased brand new Megane dCi 106 Dynamique in first week of April 07. The car had done 900 miles when I get this god awful smell coming from it when driving round town. Stopped the car and the car would not move afterwards as if clutch has gone. Got the AA to pick it and take it to Ren. Bham.
Told me that the clutch had burnt out and that this was due to wear and tear and therefore was not covered under warranty. Can you F**king believe that!!!!!
To add insult to injury they told me that the cost for replacement was arounf £1500 ????? £1500, you can probably replace a clutch on a Ferrari for that!!!!!
Anyway told them what to do with this price and told me they would knock off £400 as good will. Funny that considering Renault Solihull quoted me £700.
I have now been in touch with RCS and have been told a Manager will get back to me.
The reason for my post is to as the members what experiences they have had with RCS and if the know the names and contact details of the top people there so that i can try and get something done about this.

Thanks in advanced!

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Wear and tear my arse! bunch of chancers!

Go into the garage where your car is and dont leave till you have had a "word" with the head chancer!

If after that you have no success cancel your payments and give them the car back as its only april you bought the car?

Best of luck

L77

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 pm

definitely don't take any crap for that one.

I had my clutch master or slave cylinder changed as my clutch wouldn't hold.

bunga

Postby bunga » Mon May 14, 2007 10:49 pm

justn to update

A manager from RCS a Ms. Butfield called me and said that she cannot do anything for and that I should get an independent assessor to check it costing me £150. She said that Renault Birmingham is not a franchise but is owned by Renault UK, so she had full faith in thier diagnosis.
I asked for a copy of the report that Renault Birmingham had prepared and was told I should instruct a solictor to arrange for a copy, thney would not give it to me directly.

I dont know if this is common practice but buying a brand new car for the first time in my life is beginning to look like the biggest mistake of my life.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:18 am

And I thought us Greek customers always got the worst treatment :shock:

Every car manufacturer has a list of parts that are considered 'non-warranty items'.

The most common are bulbs, brake pads and discs and the clutch.

However they do cover these parts for a minimum number of miles (in Greece its about 10,000kms).

I really can't believe that they quoted you about 2000+ euros for a new clutch .

The price of the parts (clutch bearing and disc) is around 180-200 euros and it takes about 3 hours to replace.

However, there could be a problem with the clutch master cylinder and related parts which would raise the total price.

But 2000 euros????

:(

Email BBC Watchdog immediately!
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue May 15, 2007 6:15 am

Simple answer; - reject the car, under the sale and supply of goods act.
If your car is on finance, then the process is a lot easier.
DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY TO RENAULT.

The clutch went on my 52 plate Laguna at 21000 miles and it was replaced under warranty. For a clutch to go at 900 miles is just not acceptable, and for you to be treated like this by Renault is even more unacceptable.

Look at this
https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=1158
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

guynkate

Postby guynkate » Tue May 15, 2007 6:17 am

I am sure that you would be able to give them the car back and walk away if the car is quite new.
2005 1.5 DCi Dynamique (or how ever it is spelt :)
Glass roof and car park ding on front bumper (ask the misses)

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:29 am

As I stated before, if you only got this car in April you have the right to simply cancel your payments and hand the card and car back to Reno then take great pleasure watching them trying to chance there way out of it!!

________

____

L77

jkspoff
Passed Theory

Postby jkspoff » Tue May 15, 2007 12:05 pm

I would recommend to reject the vehicle, and stop any finance payments immediately, using the sales of goods act 1979, you have the right to return the car as it is not of satisfactory quality and not fit for purpose.

Quote:
'If consumers discover that products do not meet these requirements they can reject them and ask for their money back providing they do so quickly. Alternatively, they can request a repair or replacement or claim compensation'.

Check out this link:
https://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sh ... 38311.html
Renault Laguna II 2.2Dci Privilege Tourer 2003, sat nav and Renault Scenic II, 2004, Dynamique 1.9 Dci, panoramic roof

bunga

Postby bunga » Tue May 15, 2007 1:24 pm

have spoken to Renault Bham again, still no joy.

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for returning the vehicle back to them. I have it under finance and have put a deposit of 3600 on it.

Please help as this is becoming desperate.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue May 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Contact your finance company and explain the situation to their legal department, they will be able to offer you advise. Your local Citizens advice bureau will be able to help as well.

LGC is the man you really need advice from, but he's not posted for a while?

Can I suggest you post your problem on Parkers website. This link will take you directly to the Megane 2 owners thread.
https://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/forum/t ... IC_ID=9577
AntMat is the man to help you on here, post your problem and I'm sure he will be able to help you very quickly.

Good luck and keep us up to date
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

stewartcjones

Postby stewartcjones » Tue May 15, 2007 10:22 pm

dont understand how can renault say its wear and tear after only 900 miles according to car manual its still running in ????

fhmboy
Passed Theory

they are havin a laugh

Postby fhmboy » Thu May 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Bunga sorry to hear of the problems you are having my clutch and master cylinder were replaced at 19500 miles, both under warranty, I cant understand how they have the balls to try and fob you off with the wear & tear b*****ks, wot a crock of poo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would speak to the manager at your dealer and as stated above either hand your car back and dont pay any more payments or insist that the work is carried out and make it clear when its been done you'll never be giving them any business in the future its a shame to hear a story like this when it concerns such a cool car!!
Image usual probs but love the car!!

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Thu May 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi bunga

Sorry to hear about your problem, 900 miles for a clutch??? your dealer is feeding you with absolute bull**** with the "wear and tear" issue.

Try speaking or emailing Russell Stallman at Renault Customer Services and tell him about your experience. In my opinion he will try his best to help, he intervened on my behalf and liased with my dealer early this year with good (not astounding) results!

Customer.Services@renault.co.uk

It's gotta be worth a try! :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

Return to “Problems / Questions”