owned for 3 hours and 3 problems already...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mike_M

owned for 3 hours and 3 problems already...

Postby Mike_M » Thu May 10, 2007 11:06 pm

1) Power steering. A rather loud springy twangy knocking noise with noticable vibrations through the wheel and pedals happen when steering at any speed. My friendly mechanic neighbour reccomends that the shock absorber mounts should be looked at - does this make sense?

2) Keyless entry. Well it worked fine when i picked it up, but now the car just wont lock with the handle button or unlock when opeing the handle. it will only lock/unlock using the buttons on the fob. Have i managed to disbale keyless entry? The car starts fine without inserting the fob so i'm assuming the batteries are ok - its happening with both fobs.

3) Auto Wipers. Hmm read the manual and i think i'm not going mad, but the intermittent operation just doesnt work. When i put it into intermittent mode, no matter what speed setting i dial it only wipes once, even when its sheeting it down, i have to put it into constant mode. Any clue's?

4) Yes i know i said 3 problems but i have just remembered another lol. While driving along, in the dark, an error came up saying Auto Lights Fault and the service light lit up. I briefly turned the lights off and on again and it went away, is this and the wiper and the keyless entry the start of the dreaded electrical gremlins i read about?!!

I'm taking it back to the dealer (West Sussex Motors), but i would be interested to hear your opinions too.

Mike :)

30something
Learner Driver

Postby 30something » Fri May 11, 2007 8:03 am

The garage is (imho) pulling a fast one, they will have known the car had problems when they took it on, most likely at a knock down price, but it's much easier to flog it on at full retail (mmmm profit!) and let the new owner deal with it as they know a lot of people won't fight their corner anyway.

Get some advice from CAB or similar and get the car back to the dealer ASAP. If it were me I would insist on full repairs + an independant inspection or reject the car.

How did you not notice the steering on the test drive though?

babymerc2000

Postby babymerc2000 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 am

Mike,
My wife had the same auto wiper problem when she picked up her car from Lookers Chester (Grrrrrrrrrrr)and when we eventually got past the receptionist and had a mechanic (sorry Technician) look at it, it was confirmed that it was a duff sensor located in the mirror housing. Having said that the auto lights worked o.k.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Fri May 11, 2007 9:07 am

1: Needs two new top suspension bearings (had mine done a month or so ago)

2: Probably needs a new door handle fitting? I've had 5 replaced in less than 2 years!

3 Duff rain sensor probably?

4: Hhmmm?

All in all, not a good start to the relationship is it? I think you need to have a serious talk with the garage, maybe mention rejecting the car and see what reaction you get?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Fri May 11, 2007 9:45 am

(4) is probably connected with (3) as, iirc it uses the same sensor. Again iirc it's the one behind the rear view mirror and the space in which it is enclosed is a vacuum, if the vacuum is lost it causes the sensor to malfunction.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Mike_M

Postby Mike_M » Fri May 11, 2007 5:49 pm

thanks for the input...

i'll get them to look at the top mounts, neighbour jacked it up this afternoon and the noises stopped, back on the ground and it started so looks likely.

re: the locking - in the wet it doesnt lock with any button on any handle, or unlock by pulling on any handle. In the dry, it works better, but not always.

The wipers and lights - would cleaning the screen with that velet stuff they use affect it? I'll get them to check it out anyway.

I really dont want to reject the car because i love it! Its my first renault ever but these issues have shaken my confidence in the car :cry:

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Mon May 14, 2007 7:34 am

Mike_M wrote:The wipers and lights - would cleaning the screen with that velet stuff they use affect it? I'll get them to check it out anyway.

Outside it will have no effect, except for making your screen easier to see through of course :wink: inside so long as you don't go at the mirror fastening like a bull at a gate it should only help you see through the screen better.

Get them to look at it.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Problems / Questions”