Noisy Aircon

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Noisy Aircon

Postby chrislloydie » Thu May 10, 2007 4:10 pm

I've asked this before but got no real answer.

When I switch my Aircon on I can hear it click on from outside the car, but then it makes a constant whooshing noise which is clearly audible inside. I have driven numerous cars with aircon and none have ever made this noise.

Anybody elses make noise and was it normal or did you get it fixed?
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Thu May 10, 2007 5:58 pm

The click you hear is the compressor turning on and the whoosing noise is the aircon coling fan - its like an additional radiator cooling fan. If you look under the bonnet you wil see them side by side.

I am surprised you can hear it in the car as I don't remember hearing it whne I had either of mine, except when I had a window down :?

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Thu May 10, 2007 6:19 pm

It's definitely audible inside the car. If you switch aircon off the noise goes away, switch back on and the noise reappears. Never known any other aircon to make this noise.

Anybody else have noisy aircon or is yours silent?
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu May 10, 2007 6:52 pm

Mine does it as well Chris

Previous megane (mk1) also used to do it, but my dad's Megane II 1.9dCi does not? and my previous Laguna did not, luck of the draw I'd say.
I've questioned my dealer about it and they've said that some do and some don't? Not exactly what I wanted to hear, I've got used to it now. I find it's worse with the centre dash vents open.

The air con unit in my office makes a similar noise as well.

Ho hum! :?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

sideswipe
Advanced Driver

Postby sideswipe » Fri May 11, 2007 7:38 am

I know I am going out on a limb here and I await with baited breat the onslauight of sheer laughter....................but it couldnt be leaves by any chance ? When I say leaves what I mean is years ago ,I had a Shogun and leaves got it and every time I turned the aircon or fan on I heard this annoying rattle type noise, took it to the dealer cost me£170 for them to clean it out. :twisted:
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Fri May 11, 2007 8:09 am

Not sure about Chris's but mine make's a metalic wooshing noise as the engine revs rise and fall. Mainly noticeable at around 2000-2500rpm
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Fri May 11, 2007 10:14 am

Yeah sounds exactly the same mate. Noise increases with rev rise. Oh well I guess I'll just have to put up with it. I will mention it next time I'm at dealers though just so if anything does go wrong its noted.

Just another noise to add to the squeaky dash, steering knock, noisy engine and whiney auto gearbox. :cry:

renier
Pass Plus

Postby renier » Fri May 11, 2007 4:54 pm

IainMW wrote:Not sure about Chris's but mine make's a metalic wooshing noise as the engine revs rise and fall. Mainly noticeable at around 2000-2500rpm

My 2003 Meg does exactly the same. Sometimes the noise is completely gone and then suddenly it comes back. Never had this problem in my previous car (Clio II).

Two different dealers have checked everything on hte airco (compressor, belts, pressure of the system, etc.) but said that every airco makes a little bit of noise. Some make less and some make more noise. You can't do anything about it they said, except replace the whole lott.... :cry:
Megane II 5D-Hatch 2003 * 2.0 16V Autom. Dynamique * Gris Boreal
17" Steppe * Leather * RS front grilles
Xenon + 5LED side lights * Clear side indicators * Ph. 2 rear lights
Cabasse Tunerlist * Pioneer TS-Q131C/TS-E1396 * Ice>Link Plus + iPod

Return to “Problems / Questions”