Lumpy idling and noisy running

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Lumpy idling and noisy running

Postby chrislloydie » Tue May 08, 2007 1:06 pm

54 plate 1.6 auto 30k.

When the car is idling I can feel a vibration coming from the engine, nothing major but it is quite noticeable. It never used to be there, been doing it for last couple of months.

Also the engine is a fair bit noisier when running and idling. I have even been asked if it was a diesel because of this noise.

Any ideas please before I have to make yet another trip to the dealer.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed May 09, 2007 10:50 am

Sounds like you've got an engine mounting on it's way out, not uncommon on the 1.6 apparently?

Rough running, :hmm TDC sensor or Dephaser pulley (again, particularly if it's sounding like a Diesel?)
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 am

I thought about the engine mount. Would I be able to see if the mount was knackered by looking myself.

I had the TDC sensor and the Dephaser Pulley replaced at the end of last year but I know a few people have needed the Dephaser replaced again.

My warranty is up in November and I just seem to be getting problem after problem now.

I also now have a noticeable whistling noise when driving which is at a constant level and only stops if I take me foot of the accelerator.

Plus I seem to have more squeaks and creaks from the dash every day.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed May 09, 2007 12:12 pm

If it's the top mount that gone then yes you should be able to see if it's collapsed. There should be a small-ish gap between the mount and the chasis.
If it's one of the other mounts or the engine stabiliser bar that's gone then no, not with out a ramp.
Mines in the garage today having the engine stabliser bar changed and possibly the top mount (again!) Bad Vibes man :(

As for the whistling noise, could be a split in the air intake pipe or a drive belt problem?

Rattles and squeeks: - mine developed a few just recently as well :roll: I find IPA spray (isopropyl alcohol) very good at stoping plastic on plastic squeeks, it totally safe on all plastics and leaves no residue
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Wed May 09, 2007 4:11 pm

Cheers for that. I'll have a look at the top mount and see if anything looks dodgy.

As for the squeaks I might try some of that spray, only problem is locating exactly where each squeak is coming from while driving. I'll have to employ the missus to drive while I search all over.

I'll also check for any splits etc to try and isolate the whistle noise but its hard as it only does it when driving.

babymerc2000

Postby babymerc2000 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:29 pm

My engine suddenly became very noisy, not on the Megane but on my Merc A-class, all from the top end (camshaft area). I took it to my local garage expecting the worst but it was nothing more than a very loose spark plug. The noise was horrendous! so may be worth a quick check

fiatcinq

Postby fiatcinq » Fri May 11, 2007 9:13 pm

Mine also has a judder almost like im being kicked in the back not bad but again you do notice it? so how much is the items to sort the problem and can it be done by myself? Just replaced a coil as it was spinning over but not starting for afew weeks then that failed and that made it run like crap so give them a check too! :D

fiatcinq

Postby fiatcinq » Fri May 11, 2007 9:14 pm

Mine also has a judder almost like im being kicked in the back not bad but again you do notice it? so how much is the items to sort the problem and can it be done by myself? Just replaced a coil as it was spinning over but not starting for afew weeks then that failed and that made it run like crap so give them a check too! :D

Bertisport

Re: Lumpy idling and noisy running

Postby Bertisport » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:27 am

Has anyone done a stick or a "how to" on DiY mount changes??

After searching on here for the symptoms My '03 dci ST has got, I'm pretty certain it's the main O/S mount as there is no torque knock on acceleration or lift of - just when its sat at lights on on constant throttle.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Lumpy idling and noisy running

Postby AlexB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Just lift the car a bit, lower it down engine sump on a support stand (don't dent it!), then replace the top mount. The torque values are in the manual (in the sticky thread above this one), use threadlock.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”