Argh hit a badger @ 50mph

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Deuteronomy
Passed Theory

Argh hit a badger @ 50mph

Postby Deuteronomy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:51 pm

About an hour ago on way home as usual and wham! I hit a badger whist doing about 50. I applied the brakes as he looked like moving out the way which it did then he made a uturn and wham i went right into it. Biggest bang then silence then another big bang. Nosign of the beast evn going back up the road to look for a carcass -surely must be dead or is it in bits under my megane.

Now its done some damamge, the bumper and stuff with the foglights on appears fine the black grille above it has cracked on the left and fell a few inches in the car.
the worst bit is the left front wheel arch theres some new plastic stuff in there level with the chassis that the wheel runs against when turning, it all appears loost plastic but there seems a lot of it, some plastic fell off from the front too and i have an envelope sized piece that i recvovered -black plastic.

Has it jsut broken some under tray thing, it it okay to pull off the exposed stuff in the wheel arch? I must have another good look in the morning, everyhing else seems fine i was expectting to see a lot of blood on the front but nothing.
I need to know the best way of getting this fixed and asap as I am selling the 04 megane and someone is coming to view it thursday, just my luck -ps sorry the poor grammar im still shaking

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Perhaps the poor badger has dislodged the wheel arch liner?
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

Deuteronomy
Passed Theory

Postby Deuteronomy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:56 am

Had a good look this morning, 3 large plact plastic bits have fell off/broken this was rubbing in the wheel arch. The plastic bits look like they sat parallel to the road protecting the underside of car near radiator and right hand side, the left side is intact, on removing these i can see a metal bar 40 odd cm long that runs from the middle to right of the car and it looks like the impact has bent or warped it slightly, the bar isnt bent per se but one of the sides of it is warped up like u hit it with a hammer, thats the extent of the damage, does it sound expensive/serious and what about driving it without these plastic protectors on?

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:18 am

Hi there, I hit a bird on the motorway at around 80mph not so long ago and had exactly the same problems.

The plastic engine gaurd you need are £100 from the dealer. When I spoke to them, they advised me that if i stayed clear of large puddles it shoudnt affect the car.

Try salvage yards or ebay?

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

Deuteronomy
Passed Theory

Postby Deuteronomy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:03 pm

not good, the aircon does not work, the metal bar under the car thats bent has some aircon pipes on it i think one may have been bent so the gas may have leaked out

the aircon light comes on but i dont hear the motor whirr up like i used to before, would this be the case even if the gas has come out or is the aircon motor broke too?

Return to “Problems / Questions”