n/s/r wheel wobble

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Meg_&_Anne

n/s/r wheel wobble

Postby Meg_&_Anne » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:31 am

coming back from stoke i could feel a vibration through the steering wheel, it really bugged me so once i got back i came to take the front wheel off and i couldnt believe what i saw. there was only 1 nut that was tight. the other 3 literaly came off in my hand and this was after new tyres were fitted! Last time i would go there if they cant be bothered to tighten the wheel nuts!

Dan
Silver 53 plate Megane 2.0 16v Dynamic 3DR
Glass Roof / 17" Alloys ?/ 6CD Changer

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:55 am

Check your studs, it might well have caused wear on the ones that were lose, if it has you might want to think about putting in a claim against the company that fit your new tyres.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Scenic
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Scenic 111 1.9dci 2010

Postby Scenic » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Stranger wrote:Check your studs, it might well have caused wear on the ones that were lose, if it has you might want to think about putting in a claim against the company that fit your new tyres.

Spot on, but also check the wheel bolt holes as well as they could be distorted and if they are I know where I would be visiting!!

I think you ought to name & shame the tyre depot involved as they are a danger to the yourself and the public :evil:

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Most tyre fitters have disclaimers. My local prints the following on all receipts: "Check tightness of all wheelbolts after 30 miles. We are not responsible"...blah..blah..blah.

Also worth checking tightness of bolts. Many tyre-fitters tighten the nuts too much - far beyond the recommended level. This can lead to the bolt shearing :shock:

Haynes manual has appropriate settings - I shall check and post again.

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi there

I use Kwik Fit and the last time I went in I was amazed to see the fitter using a torque wrench on my wheel nuts!

I asked him wether it was common practice - apparently all such establishments should be tightening wheel nuts to the specified settings because of a lot of claims againtst fitters and companies up and down the country.

It surprised me but my advice would always be to use a reputable company, cheaper is not always better and certainly not safer :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

Return to “Problems / Questions”