Checking the brakes?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

walibe
Pass Plus

Checking the brakes?

Postby walibe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:16 pm

OK the cars got its MOT due in June and was wondering if theres a quick an easy way to check the brakes. They seem just fine but I've only owned this car since November last year (its a 2003) so have no idea how old the brakes are.

I've a 2003 1.6 VVT. Sorry if this seems like such a noob question but I've never ever been more worried about something being as wrong on a car as I do the Megane which likes to go wrong every 5-10 minutes.

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Yes aim for a wall :shock: and see how fast the car stops after slaming on the brakes! that will give you a fair idea :lol: :lol:

Or if you dont fancy that listen for anything like metal to metal or something untowrad when brakeing! if you havent had a prob with them they should be ok but the gaage will prob tell you that you hav 20% left on the pads :wink:

L77

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Postby Hany Saad » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:37 am

Normally the brake pads are checked every 20000 km,a very clear sign of pads wearing is the metal to metal sound while braking,before reaching this stage you will find that you have to press the brake pedal longer to reach the same braking effect as before wearing.one of the good things to look at is the brake fluid,if its level goes down this means that the pads are worn and more brake fluid has to fill in their place.
If you do not have any of these signs I advice not to change the pads as you might get new noisy ones as we read in previous forums
"Don`t touch it if it ain`t broken"

Return to “Problems / Questions”