wheel vibrations

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:15 pm

Success! I have cured my wheel vibrations today myself.

Got the builders in at the moment so am at home. Couldn't get to a dealer til sometime next week and really needed a car this weekend. So thought I'd have a look myself.

Took off front wheels and to my horror I found the bolt that secures the nearside steering arm was so loose it was almost completely off. There was a good 2 inches off play in the wheel.

I tightened the bolt, replaced the wheel and took it for test drive. 5 miles later and the wobble seems to be cured.

I wheel take it to dealer anyway to check it over, and will continue to monitor it. Now gonna make a phonecall to the garage who replaced that steering arm about 600 miles ago. :evil:
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Took off front wheels and to my horror I found the bolt that secures the nearside steering arm was so loose it was almost completely off. There was a good 2 inches off play in the wheel.

Thats quite frightening :shock:
You are very lucky that the bolt did not come undone whilst you were driving, who knows what the outcome of that could have been. I think some very serious words will have to be said to your garage.

Glad you've found the cause of the problem though
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm

You can count on that. The garage that replaced the steering arm was a local one and not a Renault dealer I must add. It was the nearest garage approved by my insurance.

I will make sure the car never goes there again.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:31 pm

I would also advise the insurance company!!
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

Return to “Problems / Questions”