Random surges in power & a few other Q's.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

simondb31

Random surges in power & a few other Q's.

Postby simondb31 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:57 am

Hi all

For the past few mornings about 2 minutes after setting off for work I was driving up a long steady hill with my foot steady on the accelerator, maintaining about 50mph in 5th gear.

My car was having random surges in power, and sometimes lulls too as though it was being pulled back by something. Then it goes back to normal cruising.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this before, or could it just be because the engine is warming up? My Meg is an '04 reg, 1.6, manual, 3dr with about 26,000 on the clock. Oh and I use only Shell petrol too.

Also a few other things:

1. My handsfree button on the driver's side handle seems to have given up on me, all others work fine - is this covered under warranty?

2. At low speeds, (in car parks, going over speed bumps etc), my suspension is a bit creaky - my g/f's Corsa had a problem like this and they replaced her anti roll bar and some other bits: could mine have the same problem? Again, covered under warranty?

3. Top of gearstick is a bit worn - I've read a few other threads from people saying they've had theirs replaced under warranty but I'd have thought this was a wear and tear issue? Should I give it a shot anyway?

Sorry for the bombardment but my warranty expires at the back end of June and I don't want to get lumbered with anything that might have otherwise been covered.

Thanks.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:46 am

First 2 I would say are definite warranty issues, as for the last one I suppose if you don't try you definitely don't get.

A word of advice keep any documentation which shows that you've reported the first 2 whilst still within warranty and then, should the problem continue or be unresolved when out of warranty you've got something to prove that you reported them whislt within warranty.

The surging / lulls I can't advise on but someone will.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:02 am

With regard to the surging and lulls, do you experience any other problems like rough idling or cutting out.

As you have a 1.6 it could possible be the Dephaser Pulley.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

simondb31

Postby simondb31 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:18 am

No not had any cutting out and the idling seems to be ok too..........so far.

I've heard of this Dephaser Pulley thing in other threads - sounds like expensive news if it is that causing the problem? Is that not covered under warranty?

Have you had problems with yours Chris as your car is a 1.6?

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Yeah I have had mine replaced and it is covered under warranty. I assume being an 04 plate your warranty is finishing soon. I think the replacement dephaser pulley costs about £700 including labour.

Also its a very common problem.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

simondb31

Postby simondb31 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 am

Yeah my warranty expires towards the end of June, about the 22nd I think - that's why I'm anxious to get these things sorted out now before I have to start paying!!!

Cheers mate.

Now just got to decide between a visit to Evans Halshaw in Leeds or Harratts in either Wakefield or Pontefract.

If anyone reads this and has had any experience of those three, good or bad, could you give me a shout?

Return to “Problems / Questions”