Battery drain and cutting out problems. Help please.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

GFM1

Battery drain and cutting out problems. Help please.

Postby GFM1 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Got a 2nd hand 03 plate 1.6 Dynamique, and in the 6 weeks we've had it (its the wife's car) we've had it back to the dealer 3 times, had to call breakdown out 4 times and no one can find the fault(s).

So, any help would be appreciated.

Problem 1 is it has a drain on the battery somewhere. Can go ages okay, then battery flat in morning. Been changed, tested etc, but no fault found.

Problem 2 (and causing an issue with the missus) is the cutting out. Doesn't have any pattern to it. Hot, cold etc just seems to happen. Sometimes it'll start straight away and be fine, or other times it just wont fire properly. Starts, coughs and dies. Has happened a couple of time to the missus when pulling onto busy roads or roundabouts and she now has no confidence in it.

Been at Evans Halshaw Harrogate for 3 days. They've tested everything but nothing found.

So, any thoughts??

ps: Apologies for long post.

ian_kell
Passed Theory

May be

Postby ian_kell » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:17 pm

The lights. I had this problem on my old 54 plate and apparently is common

TomM
Learner Driver

Postby TomM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:32 pm

As for problem 2, the infamous Faulty Dephaser Pulley...? Could be!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:22 am

Cutting out sounds like Dephaser pulley problems to me as Tom said.

Seeing as you've only had it 6 weeks, I would very much look at rejecting the car considering the problems you've already had. 03 Meganes do seem to suffer from a lot of faults, and Dephaser problems seems to affect the 03 models more than any other.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

GFM1

Postby GFM1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Thnaks for the replys so far. Re lights, I assume you mean do any stay on? No, we have checked all the interiors and they deffo go out.

I checked the dephaser issue with the main dealer and they say that would cause problems at start up. Noise, cutting out etc. Not cutting out and failing to restart once warm.

They have found a cam sensor problem, which they are sorting. Perhaps that is it?

Once we get it back, we do plan to change the car. My wife has lost confidence in it and is afraid to drive it in case it packs up in traffic - she nearly got swiped by a bus the other day when it died on her!

We'll see how we get on with the dealer, Car People in Wakefield.

Thanks again.
Geoff

GFM1

Just found this....

Postby GFM1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:12 pm

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... hlight=cam

Sounds like the same problem as mine. Hope I don't get all the other problems as well! :cry:

mistyhoney

Postby mistyhoney » Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 pm

you have had the exact same problem as me! our car is a 1.6 03 Dynamique and it went fine for the first month or so then the cutting out at junctions started and not starting some mornings.....we've been on here i dunno how many times trying to find a solution even taking it into the local dealers and they couldn't find the problem, so we've bought and changed our TDC sensor which *fingers crossed* should sort the problem - find out 2moro. i know exactly how your wife feels, i used to take the car to college but i'm now too scared to drive it so my man drives it now coz he can control the revs.....anyway soz just thot i'd let you know, let me know if you sorted your problem!

candy_xyz

TDC Sensor

Postby candy_xyz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:49 pm

I had a similar problem with mine, dying when first started up after a couple of mins, and a lull in power when above 1500 revs, i thought it was my dephaser pulley (had this done last year under warranty) but they replaced the TDC sensor and its fine again cost £133 with labour and parts

xx
Megane VVT Dynamique (2 door) Hatch
Petrol, Manual
1.6 Engine
'53 plate registered October '03
Mileage 47k (March 06)

Return to “Problems / Questions”