Engine Vibrations on 1.5dCi Engines

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Do you get engine Vibrations at tick over on your 1.5dCi

Yes I get Vibrations
47%
Yes I get Vibrations and Engine resonance when accelerating
23%
No I don't get engine Vibrations or Engine resonance
30%

Total votes: 30

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Engine Vibrations on 1.5dCi Engines

Postby IainMW » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm

As some of you may remember I've had problems with engine vibrations at tick over for some time now. :?

These can be felt throught the fronts seats and the steering wheel at idle. The top engine mounting was replaced last October because it had collapsed, this stopped the vibrations for about 2 weeks, but they returned, along with an engine resonance between 2200rpm and 3500 rpm when accelerating, and a sharp shudder when stopping the engine.
The vibrations disappear as soon as you raise the revs very slightly, turning the air con on has the same effect.

I've had the car back twice now, and the garage have checked and re checked all of the engine mountings, loosened them off and re tightened them, (thinking the engine might have settled) and given them a clean bill of health, but not solved the problem? They've also checked the exhaust mountings as well, this to has revealed nothing?

I'm getting somewhat hacked off with this now, as it's spoiling my enjoyment of the car, (which is pretty good in most respects) but I don't want to start shouting if this is simply a characteristic of the 1.5dCi engine (Which I doubt?)

I'm not convinced, as the vibrations and noise were not evident until the top mounting failed, so I still think one or more of the engine mounts is to blame.
The wife's Clio 1.5dCi is smooth at tick over, likewise my dads 1.9dCi is smooth and vibration free (just like mine used to be)

So if you own a 1.5dCi Megane and have similar problems to mine then I'd like to know.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:46 pm

My experience with diesels is very, very limited, however I can safely say that I've never come across a diesel that didn't have these classic characteristics:

-the typical 'diesely' (rattly) sound at idle and under load
-increased vibrations passed on to the cabin at idle
-weird resonances at various RPMs and under different loads

No matter how refined a modern diesel is, one or more of these signs will always be there...
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:25 pm

The one thing that struck me when I bought the Megane was how quiet and refined it was inside the cabin. Yes you do get the typical Diesel clatter from outside, but inside it was very subdued. My dads 1.9dCi is very quiet inside and out.
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:36 pm

I have a 1.4 petrol that sounds very much like a diesel when idling! It also rattles quite noticeably when the revs drop down through 3,200 to 3,000 rpm. The Renault tech said it wasn't bad enough to start pulling the engine apart and as I still have 20mths of warranty left, leave it to see if it gets worse or bring it back if the performance/fuel consumption drops.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:58 pm

Any 1.5dCi owners out there? :hmm

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:14 pm

1.5dCi in the other halfs Modus is a very refined ride in terms of noise, handling and everything so I am tempted to agree with you that there is something amiss.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:52 pm

No vibrations at all in my 1.5dCi. In fact it's one of the smoothest diesels I've driven. Miles better than the VAG units in this respect.

Renault Build A Better Car :D

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi Iain, my megane sounds like your megane's twin. It does exactly that. When I first bought it teh noise inside was very minimul for a diesel, but as the year or so has passed I have noticed that it is getting incredibly noisy and there are a lot of vibrations when idoling.

Think I will take it to the dealers and get them to take a look.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

L_Stix

Postby L_Stix » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:33 pm

I had exactly the same problem with my 1.5dci I brought it back to the garage a number of times and could not find anything wrong, it was only when I checked on this forum and went back and told them it was an engine mount they finally found that it was a broken engine mount and this was causing the engine to rub against the chasis resulting in the vibrations. Since they replaced the mount it has been smooth sailing, so far!!! :wink:

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:14 pm

Cheers for the replys guy's. I'm 99% convinced that it's a duff engine mounting that's causing the problem, I can't see what else it would be?
I'm off to my dealer on Saturday for a long test drive with the owner and a serious chat.

boysie
Passed Theory

Postby boysie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:36 am

My old Clio used to be noisey at tickover and gave the impresion it was vibrating... Try removing the plastic engine cover. Mine was vibrating and hitting the underneath of the bonnet due to one of the rubber mounting points being split were I pushed it down to hard

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:51 am

Cheers boysie

Already explored that avenue, my previous Laguna's engine cover used to vibrate like mad.

The vibrations are definately engine mounting related. Like I said the top mounting failed, this is when the vibrations and noise became apparent. It was replaced and the car was fine for about 2 weeks, but then they returned!

Thinking about it logicaly, the mountings are the designed to support the engine and isolate engine vibrations from the chassis. If one or more of these have gone soft or lost there elasticity (if that's the right word) then this has got to be the cause of all the problems?

Celticking
Passed Theory

Postby Celticking » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:58 am

I did have the 1.5 DCI Meg until recently and I never had any such problems that you describe.

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 am

Had it back at the dealers on Saturday, it's going in on the 9th of May and they are going to replace the engine stabilizer bar (and the top engine mounting, again)

Sat in a couple of other 1.5dCi's (80/100bhp) for comparison and they did not have any vibrations and they were a lot quieter inside than mine as well :?

Here's hoping it works this time?

stormbringer
Passed Theory

Re: Engine Vibrations on 1.5dCi Engines

Postby stormbringer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Just bought an 11000 miles 2010 1.5 dci megane 5 door ,buzzes/vibrates all over the place ,at idle its through the doors ,dash ,steering ,seats ,not like any of our other 4 1.5 dci's .

Should there be any sound deadning panel fixed to the underside of the bonnet as ours does not have one nor an engine cover allthought the mounts are there.
I have returned the car as there where other issues and we have now bought a 110 dci with 800 miles on the clock.

Return to “Problems / Questions”