ABS Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

glen290
Learner Driver

ABS Warning Light

Postby glen290 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:55 pm

My abs warning light has come on, when I took it into the dealers 2 weeks ago for a service and airbag problem they said nothing came up on the diagnostic.
So they want me to take it back in and charge 2 hours labour to have a good look at it, does anybody on here have any clue what it could be and how much its gonna cost ? :(
http://www.bowl-northwest.co.uk
Sport Hatch Driver Black MII 2.0l VVT.

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:33 pm

I have read in different threads in here,that this has got something to do with cables under your seat.try searching for it,I think you might manage to fix it yourself.

I had my ABS light on and the eletric system fault message on,the dealers held the car for a day provided me with courtesy car and the car was ready the next day.They claimed it was my ABS sensor failure,which they replaced!
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 pm

navid.v wrote:I have read in different threads in here,that this has got something to do with cables under your seat.try searching for it,I think you might manage to fix it yourself.

Are you confusing this with the airbag light?

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm

my mistake Andy,thanks for correction :oops:
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

Howya Head
Currently Drives:: Megane

Re: ABS Warning Light

Postby Howya Head » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:21 pm

The ABS warning light would come on after driving a few hundred yards on my Megane. As a quick check prior to leaving you car to a garage do the following. Remove each wheel in turn (support the body to keep safe) and locate the ABS cable going to each hub. The cable has a plastic moulded end that is located into the hub by a metal spring clip. To remove the cable simply pull it straight out of the clip. With the cable removed you should be able to see the disk that the ABS sensor ''reads'' . Turn the hub while looking at the disk. This disk will be slightly magnetic and may attract pieces of rusted metal from the outside of the brake disk. Simply remove the foreign objects with cloth wrapped around a narrow screwdriver. Check each wheen in turn, due to their design the front hubs are slightly harder to examine than the rear. The design of the rear hub would make it easier for dirt to enter it. To re fit the ABS sensors simply align the groves on the side of the plastic sensor in the metal spring slip and push it till you feel it snap into place. I hope this helps, if it works happy days.

Return to “Problems / Questions”