Help with Renault Clio

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Help with Renault Clio

Postby chrislloydie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:07 pm

My missus has an 02 reg Clio 1.2 16v, 34k and serviced to schedule.

For a few weeks now the car has been making a horrendous roaring/vibrating noise. The problem is non existent when idling but when driving, the faster the speed the louder the noise. When idle and revs are raised there is an occasional popping from the exhaust.

We were told the car needed a new back box and have had the exhaust replaced from cat through to tail end. However the noise is still there and just as bad.

The garage that fitted the new exhaust said the car should quieten once the new exhaust is 'run in'. However surely if the back box was at fault the noise should not be identical as it was with the old exhaust.

I will search clio owners forums but I just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Mny thanks
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Re: Help with Renault Clio

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:12 pm

chrislloydie wrote:The garage that fitted the new exhaust said the car should quieten once the new exhaust is 'run in'

:shock:

You have permission to slap whoever told you that in a Basil Fawlty fashion!

Either they have replaced the exhaust for nothing due to it not being an exhaust problem, they have replaced the wrong box and its still blowing, or they have replaced the right box in such a poor way that the new box is blowing at the joins or they are basically ripping you off and are clueless as to the original fault.

Probably find the fault is at the manifold/downpipe end - pop the bonnet and have a listen and ask the missus to rev the engine.

Return to “Problems / Questions”