Heater control illumination

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

V8-powered

Heater control illumination

Postby V8-powered » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks to the ever helpful Renault, I need to remove to centre dash panel to gain access to the heater control illumination - Renault will only consider the illumination failing as a warranty issue if the backlight is by LED's, not standard lamps.
Renault want to charge 2 hours labour to check and see, so I need to do it myself.

Does anyone have a guide or can give advise on how to remove the panel to gain access?

Thanks.

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Remove the headunit and lower tray.
Remove the cover for the diagnostic port near the cig lighter.

Remove the two screws in the diagnostic port and the two screws where the headunit was.

Then pull.

This removes the plastic centre console.
The dials are then exposed and are screwed in. Unscrew them to remove them.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

V8-powered

Postby V8-powered » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:02 pm

Great! - Thanks for your advice. Sounds a lot easier than I initially thought....

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Re: Heater control illumination

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:49 pm

V8-powered wrote:Renault will only consider the illumination failing as a warranty issue if the backlight is by LED's, not standard lamps.
Renault want to charge 2 hours labour to check and see, so I need to do it myself.

Excuse me for being dumb here but erm Renault built the damn thing, they should know wether it's led's or standard bulbs without having to dismantle anything! :roll:

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Most the the lighting on the dash is all SMD's.
Barely any bulbs apart from the overhead lights, door lights.

Was going to change the SMD's inside the heater controls but dismantling the actually controls itself looked to much of a hassle so I didn't bother exploring more into it.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

V8-powered

Re: Heater control illumination

Postby V8-powered » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:18 pm

^Andy^ wrote:Excuse me for being dumb here but erm Renault built the damn thing, they should know wether it's led's or standard bulbs without having to dismantle anything! :roll:

Tell me about it!
Being an Engineer, I quoted configuration control and build conformance to them but still they could not help. That was 2 local dealers and Renault themselves.

Apparently some were built using lamps and others using LED arrays but they are not sure which....
:roll:

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:27 pm

When it's out of warranty I know which one i'd be praying for it to be :?

V8-powered

Postby V8-powered » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:53 pm

^Andy^ wrote:When it's out of warranty I know which one i'd be praying for it to be :?

The car is only a year old, so I still have 2 years to get it resolved in. It just annoys me when I drive in the dark and only half the controls are illuminated....

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:02 pm

Well on the plus side you don't need to see the heater controls to know if you are freezing your nuts off :twisted:

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:55 am

Hi there, read one of my previous posts. I to had the same problem and it was replaced under warranty.

When half of the illumination went off I went to the dealers for a bulb only to be told they dont just sell the bulb and that the whole heater control unit had to be re-newed.

This was less than a month ago.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

V8-powered

Postby V8-powered » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 am

Hoody wrote:Hi there, read one of my previous posts. I to had the same problem and it was replaced under warranty.

When half of the illumination went off I went to the dealers for a bulb only to be told they dont just sell the bulb and that the whole heater control unit had to be re-newed.

This was less than a month ago.

Nick

Nick - Did they cover this under warranty?

This is where my argument is at the moment. If it is a bulb, they will not cover it and will charge me 2 hours labour but if it is the complete board then it is covered.

It's just the trying to find out what is fitted seems to be too difficult for them....

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:32 am

Yeah mate, when I took it up they told me that it only came as a complete unit and that the full thing needs replacing when a bulb goes out.

Tell your dealer they are full of s@@t and that you will be ringing renault customer services. That normally makes them change there mind. lol

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

V8-powered

Postby V8-powered » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 am

Renault CS were just as helpful as the 2 dealers were, even Renault Technical could not assist.

If you want a job done properly, do it yourself.....

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 am

From what my dealership told me, I was under the impression that the heater control unit was a sealed unit so it was not possible to change the bulb. I know the unit is as far as I remember £180.

What year is your car or how much warranty you got remaining?

Nick

V8-powered

Postby V8-powered » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:52 am

Car is only just a year old, so have 2 years warranty remaining.

They are unsure as to whether the car has a sealed unit fitted or individual lamps :shock:

Return to “Problems / Questions”