Weird Noise On Startup

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dine-a-mick

Postby dine-a-mick » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:42 pm

Sounds like the same symptoms I had see " Dephaser pulley" I think it's your depaser pulley. hope yours is still under warranty like mine or you could face a £500 garage bill. I think it's the kind of job you would need Renault to tackle!
Scenic 1.6 VVT Dynamique, 54 plate, colour: Mercury

shockman

Postby shockman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:45 am

hey hey, i started having the same grinding noise bout a month ago, doesnt happen very often nowadays, but its a horrible sound! if it gets any worse think im gonna take it in to renault and get it sorted me thinks :)

graeme
Passed Theory

Postby graeme » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:13 am

I had this problem but on a 1.9dci laguna.

It turned out the grinding sound was the starter motor not mating up with the fly wheel correctly reulting in teeth being chewed up.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:28 pm

This has happened to me once in my megane. Pressed the start button, nasty grinding sound, then it stopped trying to start the engine. I pressed start again and it has been fine ever since.

On an older car circa 1987 (don't laugh) skoda, this used to happen a lot. It was the starter motor - I replaced it myself with one from a scrap yard. What was happening is that when you turn the key to crank the engine, only a small current is applied to the starter - this activates a solenoid which pushes the starter gear forward to engage the flywheel and makes contact with a switch inside that activates the main current that drivers the motor. When I took the old starter off, the gear teeth were almost stripped bear - basically for whatever reason they were not engaging properly and spinning against the teeth on the flywheel removing lots of steel. Eventually I had to replace the starter again because the problem re-appeared. It was probably a design fault (it was a skoda). To cut a long story short the car was eventually scrapped - i think the flywheel was damaged beyond repair.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:18 pm

I had this in year 2 of my 3 yr warranty, and Renault replaced the dephaser pulley.

Sadly, last week I had the same sympton twice on starting; I hope my warranty-replaced part isn't giving up the ghost so I have to pay to replace it this time around...

Actually, I've had a few things go under warranty, be replaced, then go again outside warranty - like my door check-straps (I hate that noise!).
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

redcbr600fs
Passed Theory

Grinding noise

Postby redcbr600fs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:09 am

Just put my meg in this morning, had the noise for a few weeks now but not everytime i started it. But when it cut out on me 3 times on Thursday it had to go in, plus my passenger door handsfree sensor was bollix'd. Bloke on the desk said the noise prob sounded like a Dephaser pulley fault which has a knock on effect with the timing making it cut out after starting. So pleased i took out extra warranty...... :lol:
Mégane (52) 1.6 16vvt Dynamique, Sport Hatch, Black, Comfort pack.17" Alloys

redcbr600fs
Passed Theory

Grinding noise

Postby redcbr600fs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:21 pm

"UPDATE".. Just got the car back, and they have replaced the dephaser pulley, which works out great for me as the cambelt was coming up to its 5 yr change so got that done for free too....People can slag off the megane but Lookers of Colchester have never let me down :lol:
Mégane (52) 1.6 16vvt Dynamique, Sport Hatch, Black, Comfort pack.17" Alloys

Ozzy82
Learner Driver

Postby Ozzy82 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:25 pm

had a cambelt & water pump changed from the renault dealer out of warranty (OUCH!) about a month ago... since then i have had the funnynoise on startup. like the original post said, it sounds like a fan/drill stopping (hard to describe). it happens on startup only and lasts for about 1-2 seconds and after thats everything seems ok. shouldnt that have been checked when i had the cambelt & water pump changed? cos i dont really wanna pay out another 500 quid!
1.6 VVT Dynamique, 2003, Ottoman Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Auto lights/wipers, Pioneer TS-Q131c, Shinyautos.com Blue LED interior lighting, ITG filter, HID Lights (Cheers Andy!!)

idefix

Postby idefix » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 pm

I have the same noice on my 2003 MeganeII 1.6l, once in a while. I will probably get the starter changed, just to be safe (don't want the flywheel to go ...), then get them to do cambelt, waterpump and secondary belt, and check the dephaser pulley and teeth on flywheel at the same time.

However, anyone considered it to be due to bad oil pressure on the valves ? Could it be wrong motoroil, blocked filter or bad pump ? just an idea.

dai16

Is your battery OK?

Postby dai16 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:35 pm

I had a similar noise recently when my car wouldn't start. Called out the AA, and I actually said to the man that it can't be the battery. Lo and behold, he jump started the car! It was the battery after all. I always thought that you got a whiring noise when the battery was low - but apparently not with my Magane 1.6. I've replaced the battery at a cost of £58 and all is well now.
Megane II Expression 1.6 Litre 16VVT 5 door Climate Control 2003

Return to “Problems / Questions”