FRICTION IN THE STEERING WHEEL NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

FRICTION IN THE STEERING WHEEL NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Postby Hany Saad » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Hello all,I told you before in a previous post that I heard a hissing noise in the steering wheel and the guys at Renault diagnosed it as "Air bag spring coil" and they ordered it by DHL as they do have the regural one ,mine has cruise control.After they fitted this thing the hissing noise was gone but a new sound appeared which is a sort of friction between a metal and a plastic ,you hear it well when you are parking mainly when turning the steering wheel to the right,especially at the moment when you start to steer where the friction sound is max,they tried to adjust a bolt at the end of the steering column but with no success.they actually do not know what is doing this sound.I forgot to mention that I did the new bolt thing together with the 2 silicon pack for the clinging sound at full steering.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE????
Many thanks in advance.

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi there Hany

Mine makes exactly the same noise when putting a full lock on. So I took it to the dealers and as you can imagine, when I got there it wouldnt make a bloody sound.

It has been around 3 weeks now and until yesterday nothing, was out doing the old shopping thing last night and when I pulled into a parking spot at Tesco, here is the noise back. So I am going to get to the dealers on saturday morning.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:52 pm

I have that noise also, I took it in to be fixed and they must have used a deaf mechanic for the job because it still does it - I just turn the stereo up now and amuse myself by waiting for one of the monthly random electronic failures that my car likes to exhibit.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:50 pm

It must be the rotary switch behind the steering wheel (a.k.a. clockspring).

My car started making the hissing noise a few months before the warranty ended.

I had the part replaced only to find out that it also made a quieter hissing noise.

Since then I've had it replaced over 5 times and every part makes a noise of sorts, be it hissing or slight crackling when turning the wheel and the interior of the car is quiet.

Even the mechanics at my dealership admit that replacing it is not worth it, you may even get a switch thats more noisy than the one you have... :x
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:23 am

Hi Hany

Silencer51 is spot on - it's the rotary switch for sure. Had mine replaced under warranty - better but still makes a noise now and then. It's a well known Megane problem. :D

Regards

Rob
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

Hany Saad
Learner Driver

Postby Hany Saad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:13 am

Thank you folks for your reply,now I understand as I did changed the rotary switch and the new one has a different sound like a friction,I will be going to Renault next Sunday to check it out,my car is under warranty,so should I try a second rotary switch.
The guys there told me it might be the steering column,any chance????

Return to “Problems / Questions”