Code P0303

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Code P0303

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:09 pm

Evening all, another day another problem.

54plate megane dynamique 1.6 with 20,000 miles on the clock, already had 3 ignition coils replaced in the last 12 months along with a TDC sensor and dephaser unit (all at different times). I had the dreaded service light and pretty orange engine light come on yesterday (solid not flashing) and had that 'oh no not another ignition coil' feeling. However the car was not missfiring and appeared to be running correctly. Rather than risk any damage to the engine or cat I decided to call the AA out who read the error code off as P0303 which I believe is 'missfire detected in cylinder 3'. As the car was not missfiring the AA cleared the error codes and restarted the car and left it to idle for about 10 minutes, the lights all stayed off and no error was reported. Well this afternoon the lights are back on again and the car still isn't missfiring so I'm stumped.

Is this a sign that the coil for cylinder 3 has an intermittent fault and needs replacing or could this error code indicate something else? - I.E should I just get the AA back out to change the coil and clear the code or should I go the hassle of getting it booked in with renault to sort out?

Also is it possible to clear the fault code/service lights yourself in any way , do they clear themselves when the fault is rectified or is that light going to stay on now until the codes are cleared out?

Any help as usual will be appreciated.

Andy.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:36 pm

https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ ... tected.php

Apart from the above, did they use the special grease when changing the coils? I read about it, but my car is a diesel and, therefore, I don't have relevant experience. I wrote about the corresponding technical note here:

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=4667
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm fairly certain that no silicon grease was used when the coils were replaced. If the engine were missfiring noticably then I would just call the AA back out to replace the coil.

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm

I just called the AA out again to check the code and now instead of the P0303 we have a P0340 which I believe is the camshaft sensor. Oh well looks like another visit to the dealers to sort it out :evil:

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:57 pm

I have the 1.6 and it did exactly what yours did a few weeks ago, engine managment light came on and it was running a bit funny but it definitely wasn't misfiring (and I know the feeling of it misfiring all too well :lol: )

Turned out it was a coil cos I got new ones and it went back to normal and the lights went off. The time before this when the coils went though it was misfiring like mad I felt like I was driving a tractor! So i didn't expect it to be the same problem the 2nd time round because it was very different!

Id just change the coils myself if I was you rather than Renault or the AA, unless its under warranty. Its very easy, especially if its only number 3 :P

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:01 pm

It is still under warranty luckily enough and I was tempted to just change the coil anyway but the second fault code reading has me concerned that the coil replacement wont work. Also I'm pretty sure that when the coils really are defective that that the engine management light flashes - pretty sure thats what happened the previous 3 times anyway, but this time its on constantly :?

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:14 pm

Ohh I cant remember whether mine flashed or stayed constant :? Just the sight of it lighting up makes me wanna cry lol! Lucky for you that its still under warranty, id get it to renault and get them to sort it

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:27 pm

It's booked in for surgery on wednesday. Incidentally I now have the cables and interface box to hook the Megane up to my laptop and read the error codes myself - thought that may come in handy for when the warranty expires.

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:32 pm

OOOoo do u mind if I ask where you got that from :o Since my car is no longer under warranty that is something id kill for!! PM me if you dont want to say on here, or just ignore me if im bein too nosy lol :lol:

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Ebay - the one I bought was https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0100908887 and the seller usually has plenty of them up for grabs and is very reliable.

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks. Ive just looked on ebay but I could only find one and wasnt sure if it would fit a megane. Will have a look at the one you've bought now..could save me a lot of money this since my car is putting more lights on than blackpool illuminations

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:48 pm

I can also vouch for it working. I read the codes off mine as soon as it arrived and the codes match the details the AA gave me when they came out a few days ago.

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Did you use a laptop or computer?? We have both but the lappy is abit slow now so dont think it could handle all that new software! :roll:

I thought these kind of things cost hundreds to buy, am made up

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:52 pm

laptop cos it would be a pain trying to get the megane into the living room whereas its easy to take laptop into the megane :lol:

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:57 pm

I know thats what I thought but I hoped maybe it could store the codes and then you could plug it into the PC and it would bring them up! Oh well doesnt matter anyway il just have to remove all my junk off the laptop :evil:

Return to “Problems / Questions”