SLIPPED TIMING BELT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Having read through this again you may want to call renault uk back (and back it up in writing) explaining exactly what meganeboy has pointed out - the car has only covered 22,000 miles and has only ever been worked on by authorised renault techs so either the fault is down to faulty renault parts or faulty renault workmanship. Also suggest that it would be a nice goodwill gesture for them to arrange to collect the car and take it to your dealers for inspection. Got to be worth a try.

wingking

Postby wingking » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:06 am

Thank you Andy and Meganeboy

I have instructed the garage to go ahead and fix my megane and in the process take pictures of the damage and provide me with a detailed report which I then intend to send to RenaultUK.
My reasoning is because of the cost involved getting it to a Renault Dealership.

Anyone want to buy a Black 3 door Megane ?

Offers

Many thanks for all your advice

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:22 pm

When you get it back you won't want to get rid of it - until the next time it breaks, and then the next and the next and on it goes :?

I must be a total sucker because I've had the AA out 6 times and been back to the service center with at least 6 different electronic failures and I still love the car (when it's working right). My warranty is up soon though so I took the liberty of investing in an OBD unit so I can at least read the next set of error codes off of the car myself and seek cheaper repairs than Renault can offer. Hey if the worst happens I can always reset any outstanding error codes and PX with renault :twisted:

wingking

Postby wingking » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Went and collected my "meggie" today, paid £800 to get her fixed, luckily only 8 valves had to be replaced.

One hour later yet another call to the AA - the fan belt had worn out within 75 miles - this surely must be a world record !!!!

The classic scene from "Fawlty Towers" was uppermost in my mind whilst waiting for the AA to arrive - I had to contain my self from getting a branch from a nearby tree and beating "Meggie" with it

Another day another garage for my "meggie"

And probably another huge bill to pay.

I will now be selling her as I would need to be made of money to keep her, she much prefers to be inside a garage to being on the open road.

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:15 am

I would say that that the garage that just carried out the work for is responsible for this one and not you much maligned Megane this time! :wink:
Take it back to them ans get them to sort it :)

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:33 am

wingking wrote:Went and collected my "meggie" today, paid £800 to get her fixed, luckily only 8 valves had to be replaced.

One hour later yet another call to the AA - the fan belt had worn out within 75 miles - this surely must be a world record !!!!

The classic scene from "Fawlty Towers" was uppermost in my mind whilst waiting for the AA to arrive - I had to contain my self from getting a branch from a nearby tree and beating "Meggie" with it

Another day another garage for my "meggie"

And probably another huge bill to pay.

I will now be selling her as I would need to be made of money to keep her, she much prefers to be inside a garage to being on the open road.

Cannot understand why you blame this to the car... it's very clear a case of bad workmanship!!
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

wingking

Postby wingking » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:12 pm

The garage I dealt with have taken full responsibilty for the fan belt and will pay for the repairs.

Another day another problem, the battery had to be replaced as it was no longer holding its charge - I suppose because it sat for a month waiting to be fixed - never mind she had been given a clean bill of health now.

I have picked "Meggie" up tonight and have taken her home without incident so lets hope we have a clear run now until i can get her sold.

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:45 pm

wingking wrote:I have picked "Meggie" up tonight and have taken her home without incident so lets hope we have a clear run now until i can get her sold.

If your only problem was the failed ignition coil, I cannot see why you have to sell the car!! You have to explain this to me.....

The flashing spanner and change oil soon was probabbly due to the fact that the service counter was not reset, and the timing belt and fan belt problems are down to bad workmanship.....so why change the car :?: :?: :?
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

Return to “Problems / Questions”