SLIPPED TIMING BELT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wingking

SLIPPED TIMING BELT

Postby wingking » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 pm

Hello

Can anyone please give advice as to how to proceed with my Megane

Three weeks ago I was driving along when my car gave a small shudder, the rev counter fell to zero and "Check Injectors" was displayed. The car had no power, I coasted her to a stop and phoned the AA. My megane was towed to a local garage where the computer could not find anything wrong. The mechanic told me there was a loss of compression in the engine. He decided to check the timing belt but found it to intacted but he discovered that the timing belt had slipped causing the bottom pulley to wind around the crank shaft causing internal damage of all 16 valves. He has estimated the cost at £1200.

I have contacted the garage where I bought my car in November last year and because it is one month out of their warranty they want nothing to do with it, I then decided to call Renault because I feel that this should never have happened to a car with just 22,000 miles on the clock but guess what they have told me there is nothing they can do because it is not in a renault garage (the nearest one is over 50 miles away from where the car is) and that he was uncertain as to whether they could do anything. Meanwhile my car is stranded 150 miles from my home.

Has any other owner had a similar problem and what was the outcome or can someone please suggest what my next move should be

Any help and advice would be most appreciated

Black Renault Megane 1.4 16 valve extreme
22,000 miles
First Reg Jan 2003

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:01 pm

Can you not call the AA and have them tow the vehicle to your local dealers for inspection. That way the car will be with a dealer when you get back on to renault uk and scream blue murder at them.

wingking

Postby wingking » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Andy

I only have roadside AA cover and they have done their bit. The garage where the car is has quoted £350 to tow it to Perth.

I have contacted trading standards over this matter and they think I have a claim with Evans Halshaw where I bought it from. Under the Sale of Goods Act any car is guaranteed whether it has a warranty or not for 6 months - is anyone else aware of this.

I have already screamed blue murder at Renault - even turned on the tears and played the vunerable female but to no avail.

I think I have no option but to get the car fixed and claim my money back from either Evans Halshaw or Renault.

This car also broke down on the same stretch of road in rural Perthshire on a cold frosty night in December when one of the ignition coils had gone -3 weeks after i bought it and guess what is was not covered by warranty- luckily an AA patrol man was on his way home and was with me within 15 minutes.

The flashing spanners and change oil soon have been constant since the car was delivered to me despite Evan Halshaw telling me the car had been serviced fully before I received it.

All in all I would not recommend this car to single females who tend to drive distances alone

I love my megane but I am so dissappointed this has happened, I previously owned a Renault Scenic which run like a dream with no problems in the 3 years I had her.

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:59 pm

I hate to agree with you because the Megane is a lovely car when it's working properly. Unfortunately I just can't live with mine anymore because I'm sick to death of the constant breakdowns and electronics failures. My Megane is 2 years old and has already broken down 6 times, had the AA out 5 times and been back to the dealers at least 4 times (I lost count).

You just don't expect such crap reliability from a car with 20,000 miles on the clock and all within 2 years of purchase but if nothing else I have learnt a valuable lesson and will never ever be buying another Renault. I part ex'd a 10 year old corsa for this car and in the 10years I owned the corsa it didn't break down once and the only time it needed any kind of repairs was when some idiot smashed into the back of me.

As you can probably tell I'm a little miffed so I know exactly how you feel.

I'm just sorry that I can't offer you much in the way of constructive advice. My only concern now is what if the garage that has your car are pulling a fast one, are they a reputable garage?

wingking

Postby wingking » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi Andy

The garage where my car is seems to be reliable, only garage in the village thing, they were the one who told me contact renault, they have told me that my car can stay where it is until something has been resolved at no extra cost, its just the fact that it is so far from home - I sound like a mother missing her child !!!

Incidentally I downgraded from AA relay to AA roadside last November when I bought my car as I assumed that would be sufficient as I had never had a call out in over 4 years and since then have had two in four months !!!!!

I think maybe a reliable focus or astra beckons unless someone knows different

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Thats quite spooky - Focus and Astra are two of the three cars im considering replacing my electronic disaster on wheels with - the third being another Corsa. Mind you I wouldn't mind a Corolla either.

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:04 pm

Hmmm I wouldn't believe everything they are saying it probably isn't that bad. Did you turn the car off and back on again when it happened?? Because my 1.6 has started putting the check injection message up and losing all power regularly now but if I turn it off and back on it runs fine again. Had it looked at by a few people who don't really know whats wrong but its probably only a faulty coil. Im getting it sorted this week hopefully. I wouldnt pay all that money out to the garage without getting it looked at by someone else as it seems they are trying to pull a fast one..

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 pm

To be honest I would wan't a proper renault diagnosis before I parted with that kind of money and as the garage are storing the car for you for free I think I would probably pay to have it towed to a dealer.

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 pm

BTW, I used to have a focus which was very reliable and I do miss the reliability but the megane is much nicer in the looks department! Although mine was the older shape focus, and the new ones are quite nice 8) After that I had a MK4 golf which I miss so much because it was my baby and never let me down EVER but again I much prefer the megane to look at!

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 pm

EXACTLY Andy, its too much money to hand over without a proper diagnosis isnt it, can't you borrow a trailer or something to go and collect it OP??

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:11 pm

Thats the annoying part - when the megane is working and behaving itself it's a fantastic car, it's just let down by being as reliable as a chocolate fire guard

L33SA
Learner Driver

Postby L33SA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:17 pm

Haha! Its sad when your mates got a 20 year old banger which is more reliable than your nearly new car isnt it :shock: If I went back to a normal car it would be so boring knowing I could go anywhere in the country without breaking down. My driving life is exciting in the megane, I never know whats going to happen next :lol: :(

wingking

Postby wingking » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 pm

When the rev counter went to zero the message displayed was "Check Injection" then "press clutch and press start"
I tried to do this but to no avail, the car has not turned over since, it completely died.

The guys in the garage have been very understanding and because of the amount of money involved to fix it they obviously want to know if they will be paid which is understandable - the scenario they have given me is that yes I could have it towed to Perth and for the Renault dealer to look at it and then go on to fix it at a considerably higher cost than they would charge and for Renault to then give a good will jesture of taking 20% off but the garage where my car is would probably still be cheaper, it a real nightmare.

I really have to put my trust in these guys, they appear very genuine and concerned about my dilemma but I do understand what you are saying around a proper diagnosis before parting with any cash.

Thanks for your advice

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Don't really know what to suggest, you could always have it towed back to them if Renault demand more than the price the local garage quoted plus the towing fees after diagnosing the fault?

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:58 am

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.....

You said the car has only a around 22000 miles..... but the timing belt isn't supposed to slip or give way before it is due to be changed at around 50,000 miles. You've just used it for half of it's life span. In this case, this should still be covered by warranty... unless you had some work done to the car which involves changing of pulleys/tensioners and the belt was damaged. In this case, the garage that carried out these works should be blamed and should pay for the damage.

You'd better check out with a Renault dealership, because they may aswell give you a much greater contribution towards the bill.....
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

Return to “Problems / Questions”