"strange" noise while breaking progressivelly :(

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

u.n.k.l.e.

"strange" noise while breaking progressivelly :(

Postby u.n.k.l.e. » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:05 pm

i have a problem lately, while i break progressively (not slamming the brakes!) a noise << crrrrrr, like :) >> as if the ABS kicks in...
but the situation doesn't require the ABS system to kick in :(((

Q: Did you encounter the same symptoms?
Q: If so, what was the remedy?

P.S. The garage people told me that there are situations when ABS kicks in even if you don't slam on the brakes or the surface is slippery... bullsh1t or not?! What do you think?
Megane 2 Hatchback 1.4 16v

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:08 pm

The ABS will kick in if it detects one or more of the wheels are loosing grip and are starting to lock up?
Normally when the ABS kicks in you can feel it through the pedal because it pulsates.

Without hearing the noise, it's going to be difficult to diagnose?
Have you checked the condition of your brake pads and discs? It could be that your pads have become glazed or your discs are scored.

Other than that Dunno :hmm
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

TonyT

Postby TonyT » Wed May 09, 2007 12:40 pm

I appreciate this is a month after you first posted the query, but i had the same problem on my megane.(55 plate 1.5dci). The Grinding noise, similar to the ABS kicking in, turned out to be sticking brake calipers.

I took the car in, the renault dealer replaced them under warranty and said they had a few issues with this on some meganes.

so far they've been ok. hope this helps.

TT
Silver 55 1.5DCi.

u.n.k.l.e.

Postby u.n.k.l.e. » Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

thanks Tony, i've noticed that the noise appears only after a repetitive use (city driving mode - accelerate/ brake) and the problem seems to be the material of which the brake pads are made, they loose their properties :(

so i'll change it soon...
Megane 2 Hatchback 1.4 16v

Return to “Problems / Questions”